No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb/Richardson Tumbler, Uranium, Stretched Coin, Moulded, Vase ?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
Hi, I'm pretty sure this is what I've described it as, however as it's ' supposed' to be quite rare, I thought I'd better get it confirmed.
This is also the first piece I've found that contains uranium ( I think ) in any quantity.

Ht- 16 cms
Wt- just over 600 gms

The pattern can be felt both on the inside and outside surfaces.
There is also a similar sort of pattern on the exterior of the base- but the interior surface of the base is flat.

The polished pontil mark has an irregular edge- possibly as a result of the pattern ?

There's solid wear on the high spots of the base.

When tapped the ring tone is quite impressive.

What do you think ? Thanks for looking  :)

Scott

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb/Richardson Tumbler, Uranium, Stretched Coin, Moulded, Vase ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
nice tumbler Scott - forgive my ignorance, but would be interested in knowing the source of your attribution.             I've some T/Webb tumblers that have designs which originated, probably, in the 1930's - things like Ribbonette (and I forget the others for the moment - they're on the Board somewhere) - some of them are shown in CH p. 433 in 'British Glass' - but mine not as tall as this one.                 They often don't have the T/Webb circular backstamp, but do ring well, and your pontil depression looks about right for similar thin pieces produced in this period.
I don't think there is a pattern called 'stretched coin' though ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:19:20 AM »
Likely English but could have been made by almost any of the bigger makers IMO. I too would like to know where your attribution is from

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
Hi, thanks for your replies.

There's a blue one very similar to mine on eBay  ??? " Richardson/Webb Stretched Coin Uranium Glass Vase "
Don't ask me to send a link Paul- never seems to work for me.

Sorry this isn't much help to you. As you can see I've learned not to take things at face value - hence the post :)

Scott

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
Hi, I also had a look at Glassy Eye.com - they've a bit on Thomas Webb glass  ???

Scott

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
I found that one. It seems vastly overpriced to me for a tumbler. It's also only similar in pattern, not identical. I wouldn't like to say who made it, though my pet theory on that blue uranium is Stevens and Williams, though without any evidence. Although Webb did buy Richardson, Richardson continued to make Richardson patterns under the Richardson name.
My bowl http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1617
Ebay tumbler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richardson-Webb-Stretched-Coin-Uranium-Glass-Vase-/231982636941

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »
I notice that 'blue' uranium hasn't appeared on the Board's T/Webb colours/shapes archive - it's either excessively rare or it's not T/Webb.
Unfortunately, the Glassy Eye.com site doesn't provide any provenance for the 'stretched coin attribution, so we're no wiser there, and I think the nearest that the factory patterns get to this one is honeycomb, but am fairly certain this tumbler is not honeycomb, which is a smaller repeat pattern of a honeycomb.
If you look at the Board's search facility, it's obvious that some T/Webb surface patterns such as Water Wave, Ribbonette, Conifer etc., have caused confusion in the past - they appear nebulous and lack outline distinction  -  but coming back to 'British Glass' page 433, CH appears not to have included something quite like this one.

T/Webb did produce a range of tumbler colours/surface patterns in the 1930/40 period - some of which we have on the Board - the shape is common to all (at least it is for the series I have in mind) - and I've seen them at boot fairs many times.               About equal numbers appear to be either marked or unmarked, and they occur in yellow uranium and non-uranium brown and of course clear, although can't recall green uranium but that may well exist and I've just not seen one.      Their standard height is c. 100 mm (4 inches), and they all have the distinctive feature of a flared rim, and generally a large well-polished pontil depression.

We need someone to provide some more information on the Glassy Eye.com suggestion, please. :)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »
Hi, many thanks both-I like your optic bowl Christine  :)

I'm finding it impossible to capture the pattern on camera so I've provided a rough sketch - how's that for dedication  ;)

Scott

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
Glassy Eye is David Encill's website but I don't know where he got that info from

Yours looks like more of a honeycomb Scott than a coin dot. Coin dot is more separate circles like this (though this is quite widely spaced) http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=916

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
Hi, yes its pattern's a bit honeycomb-ish, definitely not coin dot like yours-if only it was!  :)

Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand