No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina (?) & signed, but what does it say? ID = Eirik Jan Thore, Lillehammer  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
I could be totally out, it's probably the colours that are screaming at me  ??? It's only little, 3" in height & 3 5/8" across the top.
The signature is nothing I recognise. Would anyone here have any ideas, please?

TIA
Della
x
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: It is screaming Mdina at me & signed, but what does it say?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:48:08 PM »
Wrong shade of blue for Mdina and not really their style in the enamels either, but it does look like a combination of blue enamels and sliver chloride effects in clear glass. ;D
It's not finished off in any Mdina way and I'm afraid I cannot make anything out of the signature.
I would strongly suspect it's Studio Glass and it's lovely, but I don't know what it is, or who it is by. :-[

It's not an early experimental bit of Mdina either, the blue is not the scarce cobalt colour - it's much (Qu)inkier. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

Cheers, Sue.  ;D Yes, the blue is very Navy, with a couple of small streaks of cobalt, not the bright blue that I see normally in Mdina. The silver chloride appears pink is some light, and yes it is cased in clear glass.

Can't believe I didn't post a picture of the base, so I will rectify that.
Hopefully someone will recognise the signature, even though it is partly obscured by bubbles within the glass and the area to it is only 1 1/4" in diameter.  ::) 8) ;D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »
Some of the silver chloride effect looks a little bit Karl Weidmann-ish, but he wouldn't be making studio glass, he designed (this sort of gorgeous thing) for WMF and Gralglas.
I think we're looking at somebody quite competent, Della. :)

That purpl-y-pink-y sort of colour can appear as a result of the combination of a layer of yellow glass over or under a layer of blue glass with the light coming through it from behind. Layering colours of glass over each other does not work like mixing paint, as I'm sure you know. (I'm saying that for any reader who is new,)  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
Just discovered that the signature is Eirik Jan Thore, Lillehammer.  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
Well done! It's good to have a mystery solved.

I need to make a correction to what i said myself. Looking at the yellow/pink bit, it's not the result of silver chloride,
that's the result of silver NITRATE.
I've been in discussion with somebody from Malta who confirmed that.
I'd been led a little astray by the Mdina book, which refers mostly to silver chloride, but that acts differently to silver nitrate, which was in use, I believe, far more.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand