No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Opalique Elephant Statuette  (Read 1996 times)

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
Jobling Opalique Elephant Statuette
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
Hello,
          I have a Jobling Opalique Elephant statuette No.10700 marked on the leftside front leg Reg Des which appears in the 1934 catalogue.
          However, I have noticed a variant of this statuette that is mounted on a rectangular base  similar to the later Bear statuette No.10730.
          My elephant statuette is the first photo and the second photo is of the variant taken off the internet which I presume is a later model.
           Could anybody who owns the variant model on the base confirm if the two elephants are the same size and a base has just been
           added to the original early original model No.10700 for some reason.
           Many thanks,
           William

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Jobling Opalique Elephant Statuette
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:55:58 AM »
Hi, and welcome.  :)
I'm afraid I cannot help with your query, but we do need to ask you if you have copyright permission to post the image you found on the web?
We cannot allow folk to post images here without copyright, it could get the board into all sorts of legal problems.
It is perfectly fine to link to a page containing the image, that way the copyright owner is still credited.
I'm going to have to ask a moderator to remove the image, sorry.
Can you find the page you found it on, and post a link to that, please?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »
As noted there were two versions produced.The elephants themselves are identical the only difference being where they are cut off (plus possibly different plungers were used looking at the different depths of the concavity under the elephants' bodies). I don't know if one is earlier than the other but I have a version with the larger base with a "Regn. Appld For" mark showing it to be early production from before the registration number was added to the mould.

The second image posted is mine and as Sue noted it's better to ask permission before using photos from other sources. However I'm happy for the image to be used here so there's no need for it to be taken down this time.

Another view:
http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-22511

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »
Thanks, for both the info. and for the permission to use your image, Steven. :)
I've asked a moderator not to remove it, after all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
Hello Steven,
             I am really sorry to have used your photo without your permission but I was looking for a photo of the elephant with the rectangular
        base so I did a Google search for "JOBLING OPALIQUE ELEPHANT" and selected Google IMAGES key at the top of the search and it
        gave two images of your elephant and there was NO COPYRIGHT marker on the image so I selected one of the images and posted it not
        knowing that I was a copyright photo.I think Google should check that they do not put COPYRIGHT photo's on their search results.
        I do apologise for using your image.
        I will only use my own images in future.
         Kindest Regards,
         William

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
Hello William, welcome to the Board.

Thanks for your comments about your use of Google images and the fact that there was no copyright marker on the image you chose. This is something that many people have a misunderstanding about. In fact, it is not a requirement within the UK and USA for there to be a copyright marker added to an image (or other copyright work) as the copyright is regarded as implicit unless stated otherwise.

But it is a difficult subject as there as different rules in many countries. For the purposes of the GMB, the position on copyright is a set out in the Information, Help & Announcements forum, in the topic: ADMIN: Using Copyright Material
KevinH

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
Isle of Wight Glass Museum has two of these elephants in its collection. I have a vague memory that they have Regn Appld For on them, indicating early production, but I would have to check. My records just say catalogue No.10700, designed by Etienne Franckhauser, and registration no. 795793 for 22 August 1934.

By the way, the museum has a nice collection of Jobling and we are still adding pieces.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:16:41 PM »
it may have limited interest here, but I had it in mind when I next visit Kew to post a image of the original factory drawing/photo, held by The National Archives, which would have been submitted in August 1934, for this Registration.

In view of Steven's comments, am sure this will show the model with the larger base and the wording 'Regn. Appld. for - but good perhaps to know for sure. 

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
Thanks Paul, I would love to see the original registration images.

Here are the marks on the bottom of my early copy (large base)

:)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »
Contrary to what might be thought from earlier comments, the National Archives image shows a model without the plinth - as you can see.
Bit over optimistic of me to think we might also see the wording - since the animal is standing then no chance of that, although would assume it carried the 'Regn. Appld. for.' version, since the model that we see in the Archives picture would doubtless have been made prior to the company being granted a Registration No.
Leave Steven to comment :)

You can just make out the African sun setting over the elephant's back.  (assume it's an African elephant?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand