No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina fish vase signature  (Read 4990 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: Mdina fish vase signature
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »
[Mod: correction to text as advised by OP]

Vicente Boffo never made Fish vases at Mdina, when arrived Harris was making these with Jim Munnelly when Jim Munnelly arrived he was making these with Harris, likely also with Ettore Boffo and Said being the boy. The making of the fish vases was a team effort, here is quote from Jim Munnelly,

"Hi Wolfie, fish were a Mdina design and made in a team environment, t. member 1 blows a coloured ball picks up silver chloride, cases it and blows and shapes that into a lollipop shape with a short neck, passes that to, T M 2  who side dips in clear lifts clear of molten glass turns new dip allowing tail to fall across the face, withdraw and shape on flat plate repeat this process on the other side.  Second dip was a very tricky one after the second dip the size of the piece was close to that of the furness opening plus the item had softened and that glassmaker would need to withdraw quick allowing for the downward bend. 
T M 3 would then reverse onto punty reheat the neck draw cold snap top and melt to finish chip off and kiln the finished piece One person could easily do the whole thing or you could have 5 people  Doing the dips was the longest part and not practical to split.  When I was there I always did the dip stage, when on leave or after I left either Joey, Michael, would have be able to do it.  The shape may have developed away from the status quo of the time as it did when I joined.  Pappa (V. Boffo) never did it to my knowledge not because of skill, but because that was one heavy item on the end of an iron.  I would say it was made when I was in the team.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
Thanks, Wolfie.
I didn't know how to find the correct thread and couldn't remember the correct info. exactly either.  :-[

But I do have a tiny Fish vase, that Tim Harris told me was made at Mdina towards the end of '68, (illustrated below) and MH did make this design at the RCA too, albeit in small versions. (no illustration, I don't have one.)

There are also the early Fish vases of just one colour and clear, which have double-dipped wings - have you any idea if Jim Munelly would have been involved with these? I'm not sure of the exact dates of these although I know they are very early. (illustrated below)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »
Having trouble with images being refused...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »

I do have a tiny Fish vase, that Tim Harris told me was made at Mdina towards the end of '68, (illustrated below) dates of these although I know they are very early. (illustrated below)

I love these vases you have shown us.........

What size is the one you mention in your comment above ?

Cheers,

Patrick.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »
More examples Patrick, all between 6 and 7 inches tall.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
Baby Fish is 3.75" tall, 6.5" wide.
Much smaller than John's or my other two.
And a lot smaller than its image, when enlarged. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
Getting back to the signatures, it has been presumed over the years that as Said was making these vases he was also signing them. This has now been put into extreme doubt but it’s hard to stop these sort of myths that have been bandied about for years. Quite likely some collectors who think they have Said’s signatures will not like to know this but he didn’t sign them. Dobson was in charge and if he and Marie had always been signing these large fish vases etc I don’t see any reason for this to change after Munnelly left in 75.

From what Jim Munnelly says it was only Dobson and Marie signing and Marie did it when Dobson wasn't available which means that Dobson and Marie would have both signed Said pieces. Dobson did not make any glass (and Marie was in charge of packing) so this all leads to the conclusion that all these pieces had a signature on them for the sake of it and it doesn’t actually represent the person who made (or designed) them. You can only presume that Dobson and Marie were signing scribbled names on these just so these better pieces looked like they had an ‘artists’ signature.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:46 AM »
These myths are like hydra headed monsters, damn tough to kill! Thanks for the clarification and further info Wolfie.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
Sorry I made a slight error, the lady in charge of packing was named Maria not Marie, full name Maria Giusti.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand