No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black glass bottle flask I'd please?  (Read 634 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Black glass bottle flask I'd please?
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:04 PM »
Hi all,this bottle is driving me nuts!,I've been all over the bottle sites without much luck so I thought I'd try here just in case somebody might have come across something similar in their glassey lives.The bottle is 7.5" ht and has two seams,the top has an applied finish,but i think later than a string type?.There are large air bubbles here and there with good wear to the base and a bit on the sides where it may have been laid on it's side.I can't really think of much else in way of a description as I'm not a bottle collector and hopefully the photos will fill in the gaps.thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Black glass bottle flask I'd please?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:42:06 PM »
Here's one of the base

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
It looks like one of those guitar shaped liquor bottles from the '70s.
It looks green to me ???
Anne E.B

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:59:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Anne,if it's a 70's liquor bottle I'll start wearing mini skirts and change my name to lulu! :).I think in the bottle world this type of glass is described as black glass,even though it's true colour maybe green?.I really don't know much about bottles but I think an applied rim may take it back to the 19 th century and hinting it was blown into a Two part mould?.....I hope so any way as you really wouldn't want to see me in a mini skirt!! ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
and I know even less, but...............   if you try Bill Lindsey's (States) Bottle Glossary site there maybe some pointers there to indicate age.
Two piece moulds - where the base is incorporated equally on each hinged side are definitely last third C19 - but it's the finish on the neck that looks more distinctive of a slightly earlier manufacture.
This one looks to have either a rolled or folded-in strengthening to the neck - or possibly the slightly later version of a laid-on neck ring.

Date wise it does seem to be mid  ish  C19, that's of course assuming it's a genuine period bottle.     

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »
That's about where I got to Paul using his excellent site,I've been trying to find a European historical bottle site to compare date lines for the techniques of bottle making ,unsuccessfully I'm afraid.You would have thought a similar bottle would crop up with a search since it's so distinctive and I think very much in the black glass bracket,but I still have'nt found one.I think it is the real thing because of the wear to the base and the sides,plus a lot of dirt on the inside I still have to remove,not to mention colour and the large trapped air bubbles.I would love to know what it was for,I'm guessing a spirit of some sort maybe whiskey?.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »
the GMB is not really the best place to research bottles  -  there must be other forums dedicated to such things  -  did you find any on your travels?

Certainly is a fact as Anne mentions, that the fiddle-back shape was very popular in the 1970s  -  did it also occur in the C19  -  I've really no idea - bottles not my thing.             Thirty odd years ago I had a brief affair with dump digging and found very little  -  every time I located a dump it turned out to have been dug out and exhausted by all and sundry and they left me nothing. :'(

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
No i haven't yet,I just posted in the hope someone may have come across something like it,or even if it was something you would have bought to fill with a favourite tipple when out riding?I'll keep looking thanks for your help.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »
http://www.deoudeflesch.nl/

Try this one for pictures.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »
Thanks Ivo looks like a good site to visit.There is one thing I should mention about this bottle and that is the shape makes it very comfortable to hold,maybe a clue to it's use ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand