No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent glass vase marked sf Tasmanian ? Australian ? ID = Sean O'Donoghue  (Read 5364 times)

Offline swuffy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • whitefriars
    • tasmania
Hi all , and thank you in advance .
A little blue / purple and black Iridescent vase I got today in a charity shop  in Tasmania . It is 8 cm high and the based is marked S F I think ? I have tried to research but have come up empty , could it be a local Tasmanian or Australian glass artist or is it something good from overseas ? Cheers

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Iridescent glass vase marked sf Tasmanian ? Australian ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
Hi. Welcome to the Board. This looks like the work of Sean O'Donoghue of Queensland from around 20 years ago. Your photos are too small to see the detail, especially the signature. You could make the photos four time the area (twice as large both wide and high) and still be under the Board limit of 125kb. You'd need to trim a bit of the unnecessary background out of the base shot first. A better and closer image of the signature would be even more helpful.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:37:59 AM »
I agree it is by Sean O'Donohue.  His signature is often hard to interpret.  I am posting a copy of his signature that I know is his.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 03:08:28 AM »
Sorry Ross, but that signature you have shown says "Ricardo Glass", the mark of artist Richard Lamprecht - not Sean O'Donoghue (note the spelling).

You can see the same signature on the vase in the photos below, which is readily recognisable as the work of Richard Lamprecht. An almost identical item is on ebay at present, offered by a seller who is very knowledgeable about Australian glass, item #231934344141. Further examples of the Ricardo Glass signature may be seen on various paperweights on another collector's website here.

Sean O'Donoghue's signature has been quite variable over the time, so I agree there is some uncertainty. That's why I asked for a better photo of the signature on the OP's piece for confirmation. (He has even changed his name, but that's another story!)

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline swuffy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • whitefriars
    • tasmania
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
Thank you Brewster and others, and a really big thanks on the photograph tips . I have managed to get a better one that will show the engraving to base . I think from the pictures I found on the net after your information that it is indeed O'Donoghue , I see his pontil work is almost a replica of the piece I have . And imagine that working overseas and training with prestigious glass makers and then setting up yourself in beautiful Noosa .

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 01:28:26 AM »
Yes, that is one version of the Sean O'Donoghue signature.

For future reference, you could make your images clearer by letting them be considerably larger when you upload them. These are around 25kB where the Board limit is 125kB. There are lots of good techie tips on resizing photos here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html

Trevor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand