No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yet another 'new' Studio piece from Royal Brierley and a question.  (Read 1064 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Presumed this was a standard atomizer from RB'y but it is etched to the base so would I be right to presume the vase, red spots, is also 'Studio' ware ?  ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Yet another 'new' Studio piece from Royal Brierley and a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
They didn't know what it was either
http://www.stylendesign.com/modern/G243.html
so theirs is also clearly unmarked.

I think if you can find a ribbed mold vase from RBS, or it is the same ribbed mold as your atomiser then it is likely it is a Royal Brierley piece and possibly a Studio piece given the finish on the rim.

m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
Thanks m, the vase has the standard RB'y label but I've seen this on 'Studio' pieces, it seems they weren't to fussy about what labels they used, back to the search... ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
mm, did they cut and polish the rims of their vases in the same way?

Were the RB pieces a lot plainer and more easy to make than the RBS pieces?
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:10:47 PM »
All the pieces I have, RBS  their art glass included all have polished and cut rims, I don't know if they were easier to make, the idea was to produce a lot at low cost but as some were cased and others some degree of hand finishing it's hard to see just how cheap they could make them, ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 10:42:38 PM »
oh and it's hard to tell, but I think the spots on the red vase were made in a different way to those on the green atomiser possibly?

Those on the green atomiser appear to be round and consistent.
Those on the red vase appear to have been made by that ribbed mold blown, trailed and further blow out method (think that was what they did, haven't check and can't quite remember  :-\)
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 12:04:05 PM »
The ribs on both are internal, as you say I think the red spots were applied and then the piece expanded to change the shape, there are a pair of bubbles in each stretched red 'blob' and none in the green ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
no I think the trailed a red trail around the ribs and then blew it out so the trail broke and left the odd shaped red dashes.

The green one conversely, looks as though it might have been made with a different technique. 
Just observing because it might mean they were made at different time periods with the green one perhaps being later than the red one?

m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 11:07:39 PM »
Wish I knew the answer, dating these pieces is driving me potty !  ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand