No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Latest studio piece for show.  (Read 1638 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Latest studio piece for show.
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Just 3.5 inches tall by Darren Weed who has worked with Allistair Malcolm and Vic Bamforth I think, couldn't resist as usual. Third trip to the Red House Cone in the last few weeks and will be back to pick up a couple more pieces on Saturday, one by Ian MacDonald and one by Melissa Nichols, the gas bill can wait !  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Latest studio piece for show.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
well, you know what they say  .... people who live within their means lack imagination........     it's what I always tell myself when the bank statement shows excessive amounts of red......    ;)

Very nice piece Keith.......      I'm not really sure of the extent of coverage or otherwise of the RB output that you collect   .....  maybe it's art glass only, in which case you won't have any interest in the piece in the picture I'm posting.             As you can see, it's a night light  -  both parts carry a label and bot parts have the acid backstamp  -  date wise I'd imagine somewhere in the 1980s.
You're welcome to it - or just the pix if that's adequate - or just say no thanks if if doesn't fall within your proposed RB catalogue raisonné.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:36:03 PM »
Paul, If it's RB'y I'm interested, very much so  ::) you posted an image of this a while ago I still have it in my file, I would love to take it off your hands, email me with cost and postage, I've never seen a night light by RB'y. I think the only Rb'y I don't like are all those fuscia pattern crystal pieces that seem to be everywhere.  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:52:15 PM »
Know that I had your address once  -  something like Candlewick Green ;D ;) wasn't it.            Seriously, send me an off-Board email to remind me and it will be on its way.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:44:57 PM »
Close, very close  ;D ;D ;D message on the way  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Sorry to interrupt your exciting conversation, but my ears are pricking up at your mention of Ian MacDonald.

I'm really, really keen on his work, I have a fair few bits.
What are you after, Keith? What's he doing now? He's full of ideas and has a talent and skill to be watched.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
Hello Sue, we were at the Red House Cone yesterday, third time in a couple of months for me, Ian was showing how to make a cased glass vase didn't know who he was at first but the way he swung the pontil rod and his confidence in handling hot glass made me think, here's someone who knows what he's doing so when he finished I had a quick chat. As one of the regular artists  the pieces they make go over to the shop at really low prices so I grabbed one of his and one by Melissa Nichols (who I saw making vases last time I was there ) Ian said take them to the reception and they will put them 'through the system' and you can pick them up Saturday.
     If the cased vase I saw being made is on sale I might go for that also, if the price is as low as the others, first time I've seen someone swing a pontil rod in a circle if you know what I mean, impressive !  :o ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
I first saw Ian when he was working with Steven Foster, both were students awarded the use of the facilities at the Red Cone for a year, after graduating, while they were still doing that.
I bought a couple of pieces from their maker's shelves and got chatting. I've been following Ian and his work with considerable interest since then, although I've not seen him for ages.
I've got some beautiful and large pieces with copper inclusions that I know he used centrifugal force to spin out into the final shape.

I'll have to get some pics.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
There are some of his larger pieces for sale at the 'Cone' I'll take my camera in case he's working this Saturday  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
Please say; "Hi from Sue in Dundee" if you do see him!

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand