No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay Ysart????? ID = Chinese (but some say Bohemian!)  (Read 3675 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Ebay Ysart????? ID = Chinese (but some say Bohemian!)
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:36:48 AM »
This Ebay item

Described as possible Paul Ysart. Vendor has put new images on but I still cannot see the signature cane they refer to. I've never seen one like this, and overall the design is Chinese looking.   I am very confused.  By the way Kev, did you see the nice Ysart bottle that went at Sworders yesterday ?
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Ebay Ysart?????
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:18:53 PM »
I have seen another of these weights on eBay, last year (?), also described as having a "PY" signature cane.

I say it's Chinese. As far as I can make out, the so-called signature cane consists of a cluster of rods which bear some similarity to letters in the way the rods are bundled - and one part could be taken as a "Y". But they are rod clusters, not a signature cane in the style that Pul Ysart used.

I emailed the seller and pointed them to my web page showing genuine PY signature canes. They have added comments to the listing that several people stated it is not a Paul Ysart weight and this is also balanced with comments from others saying they think it is genuine. One person also sates "... people who said this was chinese dont know what they are talking about ..". OK, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  :)

Let's see what it sells for.

------------

Ysart bottle at Sworders? Nope, didn't see that. Is there an online image still available?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
phew
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:57:31 PM »
Glad its not me then. Could also be Bohemian - as they can have similar canes.

As to the Ysart, I have pictures (as I left an unsuccesful bid) but they are on the other computer so will post Monday. It was a spiral base.  Also, Ive just had delivered a similar one (but damaged - cracked neck and stopper) and also a weight very similar to that one Ray picked up a month or two back with the red/yellow basket.
Martin

Offline mjr

• Members
Ebay Ysart?????
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 01:08:18 PM »
just gone onto Ebay and looked at the listing and someone else has messaged the seller to say its definitely Bohemian.
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Ebay Ysart?????
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:49:47 PM »
Bohemian?

I admit to having comparatively little knowledge of the details of Bohemian / Silesian weights and when I see basic millefiori patterned weights in primary colours I do tend to think, "Chinese" (and probably 1930s for this one).

I see that the comment given said it was from 1850 to 1870. Now, that's interesting. Why then, are there no examples of weights like that shown in the main paperweight literature for Bohemian / Silesian items of that period?

If the person making the definite Bohemian attribution is reading this message, please could you point me to any literary reference that illustrates such a weight from that area and period.

I am willing to learn.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
Ebay Ysart?????
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:44:56 PM »
with Kev on this one, i will hunt my Chinese weights out , i'm sure they have the same star canes
cheers Ray

Offline RAY

• Members
Ebay Ysart?????
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:07:14 AM »
can not find my weight , but this a photo taken from the book paperweights of the world, and described as made in china c1930's

cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand