No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby pattern 1430 creamer to show  (Read 1036 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Sowerby pattern 1430 creamer to show
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »
A turquoise vitro-porcelain creamer, approximately 3½ inches tall. The inside base of the 'bowl' is embossed with the Sowerby peacock trademark and the registry date lozenge for 12 September 1879 - Parcel 13. (Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by Wayne Stephens).

This is shown as creamer pattern 1430 on page 50 of the Sowerby pattern book XI (1885). A matching pedestal sugar bowl with the same pattern number is shown on the same page, and a matching butter dish and cover on page 7 (see attached photos).

The registry date lozenge covers a bundle of 5 design registrations - RDs 339498 to 339502 inclusive:
RD 339498 Butter dish & cover   
RD 339499 Sugar Basin
RD 339500 Butter dish & cover (which Simon Cottle collates with pattern 1430 on page 7 of pattern book XI (1885)
RD 339501 Celery
RD 339502 Jelly dish

Asumming Cottle is correct, the pattern 1430 creamer and sugar basin are presumably also from Sowerby RD 339500.

Does anyone have photos of actual pattern 1430 sugar basin and/or butter dish and cover to show, please?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby pattern 1430 creamer to show
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:15:55 PM »
As you'd expect, the Kew images for all five designs lack any surface decoration, and as usual it's the shapes only that are being Registered.
I appreciate that your assumption that the creamer and sugar might relate to the same Registration in view of the obvious similarity of the surface decoration of both pieces, and you're quite likely correct, but .................... there is nothing in the SHAPE of either piece to link them, and it is only shapes that appear in the original designs.

However, there is some similarity of the rustic twig like handle that appears on both the creamer and the butter with cover - Rd. 339498.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but am having trouble in relating these pieces based solely on the Board of Trade original designs, so a little mystified. ???

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 08:42:54 AM »
Thank you, Paul.

I will leave the RD number for #1430 as simply 'from bundle 339498-339502' (with a reference back to this thread) for the moment then, and amend to more specific details if and when more information becomes available.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »
Fred  -   I was typing my comments rather late last evening, and in the end wasn't entirely sure that my opinion was valid after all.        It remains a fact that these five Registrations  -  as least as far as the original drawing go  -  were based solely on shape and nothing to do with decoration, so I was finding it difficult to relate the two items you mention - although I appreciate that in the flesh they do have some decorative similarity.

I'll look again at this one over the next day or so and see if there is a more rational way of explaining how these might be related - or not :)

Will it help if I add pix of the Kew images for these five??

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
Yes please, Paul, that would be a great help.

I might also be able to identify some of the other patterns from their RD numbers.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
you can see how - based solely on these original drawings which depict undecorated shapes only - the difficulty of relating the creamer to any of these five designs.............    except that by stretching the imagination there might just possibly be a connection with the rustic looking handle of the covered butter on Rd. 339498.
I've a feeling that there may have been some artistic licence here, and Sowerby bent the rules perhaps and no one really picked up on it.          Tell us what you think some time.  :)   

the fifth and final picture is on the next post.             

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 06:08:36 PM »
the last one.........

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 09:12:12 PM »
Thank you, Paul. The pics of the design representations answer all my queries regarding this Sowerby bundle RDs 339498-502 of 12 September 1879 - Parcel 13 and their corresponding Sowerby pattern numbers.

So:

RD 339498 is butter dish and cover pattern 1430 (see previous pics). The strange sort of 'X' crossed [twig] handle on the cover are the definitive clue.

RD 339499 is sugar pattern 1430 (see previous pics). Main clues are the shape of the bowl PLUS the baluster-shaped pedestal. Odd, though, that the butter and sugar are registered separately, yet the main point of similarity in the actual pieces is the distinctive decorative pattern on the sides of the 'bowls'.
This still begs the question as to whether the 'twig-handled' creamer pattern 1430 is covered by the same design as the sugar rather than the butter and cover, but who will ever know for sure now?

RD 339500 is sugar and cover pattern 1429 (shown on page 7 of pattern book XI, 1885) - see attached image from the pattern book. Simon Cottle collates THIS RD with butter dish and cover pattern 1430, but he is clearly in error.  I don't have a photo of an actual piece of glassware from the pattern and would be extremely grateful if someone could show one here, please.

RD 339501 is celery pattern 1428 (shown on page 45 of pattern book XI, 1885) - see attached image from the pattern book and a photo of an actual example in clear glass.

RD 339502 is jelly dish pattern 1458 (shown on page 39 of pattern book XI, 1885) - see attached image from the pattern book.  Again, I don't have a photo of an actual piece of glassware from the pattern and would be extremely grateful if someone could show one here, please.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand