No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrach or Stevens & Williams or Bolton & Mills  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Nonpareil

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United States
Harrach or Stevens & Williams or Bolton & Mills
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:34:26 AM »
I've had people saying Harrach due to examples shown in the passau museum harrach room, but quite a few more saying Stevens & Williams just due to the similar ones found when googling.  None so far have been able to give me a solid source other than a photo of the passau museum harrach room.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Harrach or Stevens & Williams or Bolton & Mills
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:01:48 PM »
It's Bohemian and most likely Harrach, and not Stevens and Williams. Most items like this are incorrectly attributed to Stephens and Williams and it's a myth that won't go away unfortunately

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:55:30 PM »
'Most items like this are incorrectly attributed to Stephens and Williams and it's a myth that won't go away unfortunately'

That might be because of the description of applied flowers etc that appears in the Stevens and Williams book - haven't got it right here but there is a detailed piece in there.

Hence they all 'become' S&W if they have applied bits on.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
https://www.kovels.com/price-guide/glass-price-guide/stevens-williams/Page-2.html?/vase/-pink-applied-flowers-leaves-amber-ruffled-edge-signed-illustrated=&eid=691315

This one was apparently signed for Stevens and Williams. Unfortunately there is no picture of the signed mark.It might be one of the pieces causing the confusion.

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 06:41:39 AM »
There are also known faked S&W signatures on items on the US... that is classic Harrach

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
When I bought this vase I thought S&W but since then I have become convinced Harrach is a much better bet, comparison of the detail in the flowers and leaves seem like reasonable evidence to me. As far as I know the Passau Museum attributions have stood up well to scrutiny.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
John do you have a photo of the base of the vase please?
thanks
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »
I do, still have the vase too, pretty sure that pontil mark is polished - will be able to check tomorrow.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:24:34 PM »
Likewise my piece has beautifully polished pontil mark  :-\

There are examples in the S&W book of applied leaves and flowers but they do not look like these pieces though.

m

Offline glass newbie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • london
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 06:59:41 AM »
i am under the impression the item i posted , is likely by boulton & mills,  others have insisted it's Harrach, the pics belong to a member of a fb group o am helping out whom owns thispiece and tookt he photo's his name is justin, i have no clue if he has a gmb account as he didn't mention it when i told him to post it here, so i did it for him to eleviate so much heated debate on the fb glass group, i am merely seeking others opinions of it, whom they feel made it, there are tiny black/dark flecks/inclusions in the white parts, what would they be too ? ... many many thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand