No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Gin Glass  (Read 998 times)

Offline Laird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
A Gin Glass
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
This glass has the dimensions
H: 12cm
Bowl diam: 5.4cm
Foot diam: 6.5cm
Knopp to lip: 8cm

The bowl is panel cut and the pontil has been polished smooth. There are striations in the bowl and the foot has scratches from use.

It doesn't match the example drawings in Negus' Guide to British Glass, which I have just acquired.

Can it be dated?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: A Gin Glass
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »
I always think of that style as Regancy about 1830ish.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
Hello laird, I recently identified a similar glass with a bladed knop and panel cut sides on a very good Danish website, hardernet.dk.
Maybe worth a look.
Tim

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 06:35:08 PM »
Thank you.
I am looking at the website.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
I have one virtually identical, although mine has a discreet pontil scar rather than a depression - I see I've written 'wine c. 1820' on the foot.
We have to remember that historically booze was stronger in the C18 and early C19 than during later periods - although a can of Special Brew doesn't go amiss on occasions.

I've always thought the Brooks/Negus book useful and helpful in a general way - more so than many others - although perhaps you wouldn't use it as a first choice when assessing drinking glasses - but don't think I'd part with my copy.
There are more useful volumes for drinking glasses - Bikerton and Ward Lloyd are two of the best, although the late Ward Lloyd's volume is a little heavy toward the high spots  -  both however tend not to go beyond c. 1830, since it's Georgian glass that provides the investment area.
One book that will help greatly - and dirt cheap into the bargain - is E. Barrington Haynes paperback 'Glass Through The Ages'.    A tad over-comprehensive perhaps but in view of the price mustn't be ignored - I seem to remember Anne (Mod.) saying that she'd paid something like £1. for her copy.            Like many paperbacks, its down side is that the pages can become loose - they aren't bound and sewn into sections - instead they are bound in what is known as perfect binding I think  -  the separate pages are simply stuck with a rubberized cement into the cover..............   and as you'd expect not acid free paper, so some browning of the pages occurs after a while.

Coming back to Laird's glass - there is a reprint of part of an Apsley Pellatt price list (Fig. 10) - page 154 - in G. Bernard Hughes book 'English Glass for the Collector 1660 - 1860'.      The final part of this image shows a variety of wine glasses, mostly with slice cutting, stemmed and with flat feet, and a variety of knop shapes.     The glass shown here with a ball knop is one of the patterns on Pellatt's list - which is dated 1829 - so seems we're in the right area for date, give or take a little as is always the case with these things  -  but described as a wine rather than for gin.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
Slightly of topic . Paul, that is the book I just used to check the bladed knop reference in my posting.
spooky.
Tim

Offline Laird

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:23:44 AM »
As a newcomer to this, let me say Thank you for recommending useful reference books. Exactly what I wanted, and now I'll look for copies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand