No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple vase/bottle - Scandinavian?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Purple vase/bottle - Scandinavian?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 07:46:21 PM »
There is a distinct and narrow ring of wear on this vase (the last of Ben's photos), exactly what I would expect to see on a base with a curved profile like this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
The wear pattern couldn't be formed in any other way John, bearing in mind the sharply curved base, and I'm sure that the smaller the contact surface then the more apparent will appear the amount of wear - i.e. a few shuffles on the shelf would leave many marks.            But as we're always saying, wear is a contentious feature, so perhaps not too reliable.          Bulb vases from the period suggested would have seen a lot of 'movement', so it's a personal thing I have with wanting to see maximum wear on old glass. ;D

Have attached some more pix of pieces which imho date from the middle of the C19 through to late C20.             I would suggest that all except the Wedgwood piece are more or less the same colour - which to me looks very amethysty.             
I think the Wedgwood goblet colour 'dies' under fluorescent lighting, which is why it appears insipid and brownish - it looked a good contender for amethyst when it came out of the cabinet, but was a disappointment when photographed.                               
The Richardson vase is c. 1930s and is a good bright colour.
None of these pieces has the violet appearance of Ben's bulb vase, which makes me wonder if the colourant for older 'purple/amethyst' glass was a different chemical mix to C20 requirements.

From reading the books I get the impression that this would have been manganese in a trivalent form for perhaps the first two thirds of the C19, but may well have switched to nickel at a later date.           

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
What a find!
I own 7 in both amethyst and green. This colour personally I would call violet, I have a very old English 'churn' in that colour. May be glass houses trying to be different so as to sell?
In the book you'll find one on page 43 which proves it was around in 1842. Another is shown on page 48 plus a drawing from the Thomas Webb pattern book of 1845 (made in 'puce'...lovely name for a colour, do look it up).
All my 7 vases have just a slight wear which doesn't mean much really. This vase might have been used just once or twice and was then packed away (hyacinth vases only served for a couple of months per year anyway). And don't forget that in 1850 Tye brought his popular squat model plus support on the market that could not topple which means that this vase might have stayed packed away for a very loooooong time.

Patricia   
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
well, I think that having seven is just greedy Patricia ;D .......  but seriously, very big thanks for confirming the age, which must admit had given me doubts in view of the colour.              So - John quite about the use and age, and Ben very lucky with such a good find.
thanks again. :)

is the T/Webb pattern you speak of a Registered design  -  I don't recall if we've had it on the Board previously - and regret very much that I've parted with my copy of your book :'(

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
Thanks for all the information, I enjoyed reading your website Patricia! Gave me a great insight as I've never had a hyacinth before!
Not bad for a £3 carboot find!
Ben

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
Its having 7 of these vases John that makes me able to answer questions here  ;).
The Webb pattern book does not show registered designs, well, not for hyacinth vases anyway. I have to admit that I did not look very much at their other stuff.
And parting with my book? Not good! But then David still has copies available, that goes for you too Ben.
By the way Ben, shall I give you my 'want' list? If this is what you come up with, paying just 3 pounds, I don't mind sending you shopping with my money. Of course you realise that hyacinth bulbs are in the shops these very weeks so give your purchase a little wear why don't you  :).

Patricia   
Patricia

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
Patricia  -  I think you meant to say Paul - not John   -  am sure John is too polite to do my sort of pointed comments. ;D

I will certainly have to get another copy from David :)        my earlier words were supposed to say    "...John quite right about the  ......."

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »
Quite right Paul, sorry John, that's what happens when your mind is all occupied about where this car boot of Ben might be where they offer such hyacinth vases for 3 quid....  :o

Patricia
Patricia

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
No problem Patricia, I hope its not a long list! This came from a bootsale down the road from me in Buckinghamshire.
Unfortunately I can't keep any plants alive so it will be moved on to someone who appreciates it more than me.
Not going to make me a millionaire anytime soon, but it has opened my eyes to perhaps older glass that I wouldn't look at normally  ;D
Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand