No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano in WWII  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Murano in WWII
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:30:19 AM »
As the debate about my piece of glass continues, another question has come up.  

My mother-in-law (the knower of all things, accoding to her) feels that based on the colouration,  it was made in the 20's or 30's.  I thought it might be the 30's or 40's, but then she thought that no glass would have been made during the war.

So plunge in and let me know your theories (or even the facts)

Carolyn

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Murano in WWII
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 03:52:13 PM »
According to all the reference books I've seen, almost nothing was produced during the war.  Glass was made and sold in Murano up to and afterwards, but during each war, production all but shut down.  Because of this, pre-war pieces made in the 1930s were sold post war in the mid 1940s and '50s. I believe this to be why, for instance, pre-war pieces were purchased and brought to America in the 1950s.

Laura

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
exactly
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:42:49 PM »
Yes, Laura, exactly right. The 1950s decade was the hey-dey for Murano objects, especially vases, being sold in the United States.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand