No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett design attributed to John Webb.  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Webb Corbett design attributed to John Webb.
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:03:52 PM »
Speaking of the Roger Dodsworth edited 'BRITISH GLASS between the wars' softback book, Bernard Cavelot commented some years back  "Ignore the section on Webb Corbett acid-etched marks and their dates."
Exactly why he considered we should be wary of the dates given, he didn't say, and now of course we can't ask ask him  -  I suspect it likely he felt they needed wider or smaller margins, or similar, but that's just my opinion.

There are plenty of pieces from this factory where the backstamp includes the letters T and S, indicating the place of manufacture as either Tutbury Stourbridge, but far fewer that have the earlier 1930 - 47 (according to Dodsworth) crescent shaped mark that lacks this indication of origin.         

So, pleased to find the tumbler shown - a lightweight almost aesthetic looking design that made me think 1930s - delicate curves and about as far removed from the dreaded criss-cross of geometric mitres as you can imagine.               
I've rummaged through a variety of books, but the only one I can find where this design is shown is Nigel Benson's 'ART DECO TO POST MODERNISM' - page 27 - item 126.......   albeit a very small illustration, but I'm sure this is a match.           
Nigel describes this design as follows.........  "........cut all over with geometric squares & loops, attributed to John Webb, marked Webb Corbett Made in England, c. 1940  ...  Illustrated PG&GTR April 1940 under the section "Britain can Export" feature.              For how long the design was offered by the factory I've no idea.                    Apologies that the attached picture of the backstamp is very poor  -  I did try talc but hardly any improvement.

One of my better charity shop finds last week  -  all I need now is .........  the decanter, the vase, the water jug and stemmed drinking glass :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett design attributed to John Webb.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
Good find Paul, that picture is so small I had to use a lens !  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett design attributed to John Webb.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
agree Keith - we'll have to persuade Nigel to re-issue with bigger pix. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand