No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salviati?? Venetian Vaseline glass riggioto stems  (Read 6146 times)

Offline atruheart

• Members
Salviati?? Venetian Vaseline glass riggioto stems
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 07:16:28 PM »
Think these are close? not exact but close?

Atruheart

http://www.trocadero.com/barclaygalleries/items/526075/en3.html

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 08:35:08 PM »
First of all, they are not by Venini. Venini did not do this type of elaborate glassware, not did they use these colors.  

Secondly, they were most likely made in Murano (there was a suggestion on another board that they were made in Venice rather than on Murano). There was very little glass blown in Venice itself, as the dangers of fire was very real and the factories were religated to Murano until very recently, when air conditioning and modern technology has made glass blowing safer.

Third, they are most likely early 20th Century. Although people like to think that anything old is 19th Century, the truth is that very little glass was made in Murano until the later 1800s, and very little of that has survived. There are too many examples of these particular glasses out there in the world for them all to be that old.

Forth, Salviati is the top candidate, although other companies did this kind of work as well.

Fifth, some of this "traditional" style work was made throught the 20th century, and is still being made today. Certainly the familiar stems decorated with golden fish can still be purchased in Murano, although every seller on ebay likes to claim that theirs is antique. However, if I had to pin a date on these I'd say somewhere around the 1920s.

Sixth, the stems are most likely vaseline glass, which not only makes them twice as collectible, but also makes it an almost certain guarantee that they were produced prior to the 1960s.

Laura

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:56:01 PM »
Hi artuheart,

Thought that this link might interest you;

http://www.ewolfs.com/past_auctions/july_weapons/408.html   :wink:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 08:59:56 PM »
 Nice find Della  :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 09:32:17 PM »
WOW Della how did you do that? I have been looking for days! LOL TY TY Do you by chance know when that auction took place? off to measure my glasses now. LOL TY

Laura...I posted a reply to you on the PGP board. THANKS for the great information.

Atruheart

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »
Actually Venini did produce this type of glassware but only on a commission basis. I know this for a fact as when I was over in Verona two years ago I had the chance to buy a full 12 place set of glassware that came from a local noblemans home and retained the original bill from Venini dating to 1933. That was also in vaseline glass only the applied decoration was in gold and not blue. Until that time I would have said unquestionably Salviati, but the bill for this set was detailed and certainly related to the items I was shown.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 09:47:56 PM »
Not sure how I did it actually. Just by entering combinations of words etc.  :?  and getting lucky  :wink:

You might be pleased to hear that the auction took place on July 27-28
2000   :lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 10:14:38 PM »
Deltab WOW! that is pleasant to hear  :D finding those pictures is amazing.....I literally looked for days! did you notice that most of those stems were repaired too? they certainly are beautiful glass.

Chuggy...I listed as Salviati on E. I listed a pair of them. Lots of watchers already and bidders. I am thinking that either way the peeps who know what they are will be the ones bidding?? anyhow THANK YOU so much for your input and helping me.

Atruheart

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »
Hi Atruheart,  :D

Yes, I did notice that most of those in the auction were damaged.

I wish you the best of luck with your sale. Maybe you could also put a link to the auction in the Marketplace forum.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Archive Candidate
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »
If you can please repost your pictures at http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/ we can store this thread for eternity :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand