No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salviati?? Venetian Vaseline glass riggioto stems  (Read 6147 times)

Offline atruheart

• Members
Salviati?? Venetian Vaseline glass riggioto stems
« on: July 15, 2006, 04:19:15 AM »
Im sorry posted this on another thread but was told pictures were much to big. I can not figure out how to resize them for this board. So I am hoping these links work. If you click each one will get bigger to see. These stems have very very fine gold inside there is a pontil on the inside of the bowl on top and a poltil on the base of the foot. Riggioto?? is that the correct term for the decoration...

Possible age? maker? need some leads. I appreciate any and all ideas or guesses.

Thanks

Atruheart

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:53:39 PM »
WOW noobody has ANY IDEAS?? I thought for sure this was the right place to get help for them.....

Atruheart

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:10:39 PM »
Quote from: "atruheart"
WOW noobody has ANY IDEAS?? I thought for sure this was the right place to get help for them.....

Atruheart

:lol: Give people a chance, you only posted it this morning!  I had a look through my books then, and Googled every combination I could think of...but came up with zero.  I even started to question whether it was Italian and toyed with the idea of it being Stourbridge...

Hopefully someone, maybe Svazzo  :?: or Chuggy will be along and will give you some information.  :D
I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:57:34 PM »
My first instinct was that these were Salviati, but after doing some research through my folders, I now think they are most probably Venini. They made a number of ornate table ware sets in the pre-war period as one off commissions with no 2 ever being identical and I feel that these may fall into that category. Records of these are fairly sketchy so it may be ID by a process of elimination, try e-mailing Salviati initially and if that proves negative then I think it strengthens the Venini attribution.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »
Max I am sorry  :oops:  Could possibly be a 40 something thing I am going thru. I apologize.

Chuggy...I too have googled and goggled till blue in the face. LOL I'm so stuck don't which direction to take. I was almost thinking along the same line as Max and thinking maybe not even Murano???

Again....I apologize for my typing in haste and sounding ummm...bitchy? Really didn't mean it to come off that way.

Atruheart

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:34:23 PM »
Paul....
Would you mind posting me a link to get a email to Salviati? I am lost on where to find it. TY

Atruheart

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »
Don't worry, you weren't bitchy Atruheart...and I'm the same age as you so I know where you're coming from.  :wink:  :D

Paul's been very helpful here, and you have a direction to try now.  For myself, it can be difficult with the Venetian influence that different companies used, but the aventurine was always a sticking point for Stourbridge to be honest.

They're a beautiful pair of goblets anyway, I hope you get some positive feedback from Salviati.  :D  :D
I am not a man

Connie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:29:11 AM »
IMHO and limited knowledge of this area ....

These are classical Murano and either older than most people's experience here or made in the classical style.

I saw a very similar set sell at a real life auction in Charleston, SC.  They were from the 1860-80.  It was the most amazing set with 10-12 tall stemmed glasses, 10-12 smaller glasses, 10-12 finger bowls etc.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »
Salviat main site is www.salviati.com with a contact link through that. I've found them very good in the past at getting back quickly.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 12:06:43 PM »
Thanks Chuggy I did finally find that site last night:-) I emailed them but could not attach pictures. I hope they will allow pictures to be sent. Some sites are particular on that.

Connie I am also beginning to wonder if these are not a lot older than we've been thinking. I have spent hours on the net trying to locate anything even remotely close and and have come up with nothing.

I actually have a set of 8 of these :-)
Atruheart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand