No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anybody Know More About Bob Biniarz?  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
Anybody Know More About Bob Biniarz?
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:52:39 AM »
Hi All, I've collected the American Glass Artist Bob Biniarz for some time now. I have 18 of his works and have wanted to know more about the artist but cannot find anything except for a couple obscure references in a couple dated art glass reference books (coffee table books) to his early appearance on the art glass scene in the early 70's after having moved away from pottery as his medium. All the works I own are from the early to mid 70's.
Can anyone offer any more information?
Thanks!
Bill

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Anybody Know More About Bob Biniarz?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
He is listed on this site as a visiting artist in the 1970s...  http://archiebray.org/residence_program/visiting_artists.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline lyndvo

• Members
    • All glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
Bill-
Did you ever find more information on Biniarz? I have a piece that has his name on a piece of tape on the bottom and I know nothing about him, but it seems this piece might be one he did early on. I would love any info that you might be able to share with me. I am attaching a photo of my piece.
Thanks!
Lynda

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »
I've got a copy of "American Studio Glass 1969-1990" by Martha Drexler Lynne, (2004) but there is no mention of this name in the index.
However, the index is completely lousy, I haven't finished rewriting it yet, I got fed up.
I found the book to be more of an academic treatise than one of genuine information.

Do you know where he worked or who with?
Can you give me anything I could look up?  Something near or related might help me a bit. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:52:32 AM »
Hi All,

I suffered a hard drive crash a while back and my backup did not save my GMB sign in data.

I appreciate all the information. Unfortunately, it is the same limited information that I found. I fear that Bob Biniarz may have passed in the 80's. I now own 30 of his pieces and nothing is dated beyond the early 80's.

Recently, I reached out to John C. Lewis who was a contemporary of Biniarz and is often mentioned in conjunction with him when referencing the modern art glass studio movement of the late 60's and 70's. I figure that Lewis would have known at least something of his contemporaries and possibly knows something about Biniarz. I've yet to have a response but I only reached out a day or so ago.

With a name as unique as Biniarz you'd think that an Internet search would turn up more information, if there is information to be had.

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 02:58:28 AM »
To Lynda, yes this could be a very early Biniarz piece. Apparently his first medium was ceramics and he transitioned surfacing techniques he used in ceramics to his glass work. some of his very early work is transparent glass in molted dark tones with iridescent surfaces which, by comparison, are much more plain than later work. The only thing I can say is that I own ~30 Biniarz pieces and each is signed in a stylistic all uppercase "BINIARZ" followed by a two digit date i.e. "BINIARZ '71". I have never seen a piece attributed to him without a signature.

Offline Bill Vitez

• Members
    • Contemporary Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 01:24:43 AM »
All, somehow I erroneously referred to the art glass artist John C. Lewis rather than Donald Carlson who was the person that rented studio/kiln space out to Bob Biniarz. I apologize for the error.

I'm now up to over 40 pieces of Biniarz glass.

Anyone know if he is still alive or just ended his art glass career, changed mediums or is now retired? 

Thanks!
Bill

Offline BobBiniarz

• Members
    • Bob Biniarz
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 11:41:15 PM »
Hello,
My name is Dorothee, I work at a radio station in Northern California, and happen to know Bob Biniarz very well. He is a DJ on our community radio. Not dead at all.... full of life actually!
When I randomly came across this website site with all of you guys wondering about Bob, I couldn't believe it, so I printed all the conversation for him, as he doesn't use internet. He is right now sitting next to me, and would love you to contact him. His phone number is 707-923-0058. This a land line, so don't text him.
You can also contact me at (*), I'll be happy to help him reconnect with his public.
Attached is a letter that he wrote for you Bill Vitez.

Dorothee Schaefer
Membership Coordinator at KMUD Radio
707-923-2513

Mod Note:  (*) email address removed to safeguard privacy - please use the send email icon on the left panel to contact Dorothee

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 11:37:53 PM »
Hello Dorothee, welcome to the board, and thank you for your updated and welcome info about Bob Biniarz. I'm delighted to read about him and that he's still active.

Just so you know, I've removed your email from the clear text part of your post above to prevent it being harvested by email spammers. Other members can contact you via the wee envelope icon under your name on your post above which is spam protected.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand