No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ditchfield glass vase  (Read 5593 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Ditchfield glass vase
« on: July 15, 2006, 02:17:32 PM »
Hi,

I have come back from a small car boot sale with this lovely Ditchfield vase.

http://i1.tinypic.com/2008e3n.jpg

It is signed on the base J Ditchfield 81

http://i1.tinypic.com/2008fwn.jpg

Is this the date or issue number?

I think that this must have been made in the early 1980's before he set up Glassform as it only has his signature. Is this right?

Barbara

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Ditchfield glass vase
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
:D :D :D

Hello Barbara :D

As far as I know, John Ditchfield started the Glasform company in 1982.

Also, as far as I know, he decided to number each piece individually. (I have 5194, 5430 and 7121). These are marked with J. Ditchfield, Glasform and the number. Your signature looks perfect.

Then there was the paperweight frenzy, and I think the numbering went. It may still apply to vases, I don't know.
I have a little apple, with just a label. The label reads Glasform, English handmade glass. There is a telephone number on it, 0253 26410, in the centre.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BJB

• Members
Ditchfield glass vase
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:07:57 PM »
Hi Sue,

According to the Great Glass;

"Established 1982 by John Ditchfield, after serving a 7-year apprenticeship at Venetian Glass Co, under Franco Toffio, a skilled Murano glassblower. Hand-blown one-off vases, lamp-bases, vessels & paperweights, mainly with iridescent finishes. His signature used on its own for a couple of years before he created Glasform. "

That's why I wonder if this is an early piece before he created Glasform, as others I have seen have had Glasform as well as his signature engraved on the bottoms.

Barbara

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand