No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Mdina etched signature  (Read 9721 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Early Mdina etched signature
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »
Thank you very much Sue for confirming what I thought and hoped. It just did not quite look like a normal Mdina mark . It just looked more like Michael Harris's style of writing.
So it would seem that there were not a huge amount of items signed this way and its probably the next best thing to a fully signed piece.

Thanks again.

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »
I would describe it much more as a "nice little oddity" rather than something than could be seen as "close to fully signed".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
This one looks a bit like Christine's example but it's big and bold (the 'd' is about 1.5 cm tall ) ...could it be a Dobson 'Mdina'  ?
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »
No, that's the spikey style we used to think was Dobson, but we now know to be Marie. Less common than the loopy one.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2016, 02:36:16 AM »
Thanks Sue,

How did you find out that it's Marie's hand , just out of curiosity ? So the loopy Mdina is someone else other than Marie  :) Do you have an example of a Dobson Mdina  ?
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
There is a descriptive  label with this one Patrick (see photos in description ) .. looks post 1985 perhaps ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RETRO-BEAUTIFUL-MDINA-MALTESE-MALTA-ART-GLASS-VASE-/201666766049?hash=item2ef446a4e1:g:vPsAAOSwvzRXy8ZR

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 12:59:05 PM »
That got sorted out in another thread, when Marie joined in.
She mostly did the packing, Dobson made most of the Mdina marks, Marie only did it when she had time and Dobson didn't.

Before that thread brought this to light, we had thought Dobson had made the spikey looking *signature* mark and that Said had made the other signature one.

But the same spikey script is also used for just the Mdina maker's mark on some pieces.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
I think you might be thinking of this thread here Sue..........

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61584.msg346878.html#msg346878

It's mainly about the Dobson signature rather than the ' Mdina' name itself . I think I read somewhere that Harris and Dobson had similar handwriting , copperplate , so the spiked Mdina could be Dobson (as you suggested in the thread linked above) . I'm not a handwriting expert so I'm keeping an open mind.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
Yes, but on the examples with the "artist mark", the word Mdina is also written, so that can be compared.

What we got from that thread was that the artist marks were made by either Marie or Dobson, and how each of them wrote Mdina, and that Marie had the spikey writing, Dobson the more rounded.
This was contrary to what I'd been told, which was that Dobson had spikey writing and the rounded style was Said.

The spikey writing looks a little bit more like Michael Harris' writing, but not enough that they could ever be confused. It's a lot bigger and more coarse, just for a start.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand