No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molded Glass Lamp Base - similar to Lalique. ID = Libochovice  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Baxter

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Molded Glass Lamp Base - similar to Lalique. ID = Libochovice
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to identify this lamp I've just brought. It looks similar to Lalique/Jobling, but there is no name or other markings I can find on it  It is especially nice because the lamp has a bulb within the lamp to illuminate it from within.

many thanks.

Baxter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Molded Glass Lamp Base - similar to Lalique
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:44:08 PM »
wouldn't that be a normal method of illuminating a shade such as this  i.e. using a bulb within the glass shade?? ;D
but agree it does look attractive and would be great with a slightly lemony or pink light.                 I've just realized that the base is closed off, but imagine there's no other way of illuminating other than an internal bulb.              The wiring looks pre 1950s.

Didn't we have something here with roses on it the other day - I forget now.?                Sorry can't help with an attribution.

Offline Baxter

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
Hi Paul,
I didn't explain myself correctly, this is a glass lamp base, such as one would stand on a sideboard or dresser, (there is no lampshade on it currently), so the light unit would have two bulbs one up in the shade and one pointing down into the glass lamp base.
Baxter

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:44:18 AM »
Hi Baxter,

Your vase/ lampbase was made by Feigl & Morawetz, Libochovice, in what was then Czechoslovakia, and is from a range of nice quality vases and figures the designs of some of which are attributed to Karel Zentner. I don't recall the pattern number for this vase but it is shown in 1950s Libochovice catalogues so should be easy to find. Not sure how long these were made for but suspect they were introduced mid to late thirties and made at least until the late fifties.

Internal illumination is not unusual for lamps of this type: the Jobling B1,2,3 lamps came with a bulbholder in the base and I'm sure Monart and WMF lamps were often similarly equipped. I use 3W LED bulbs inside my Jobling lamps to keep them from getting too hot.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »

Hi Baxter,
I just happened to have the CD in my drive. The pattern number is 1918, in the pre 1958 Libochovice catalogue.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand