No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala Festivo  (Read 7621 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Iittala Festivo
« on: September 13, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
I don't think I'm going mad, but this is a genuine Festivo candlestick, isn't it?

It's exactly the same quality and finish as the dozens of other Festivo items I've ever stocked - hand-cast, slightly asymmetrical form, randomised texture, irregular 'join' between each knop, and signed 'T.S.' to the base exactly as it should be.

Except I sold it recently, and the buyer is claiming it's a copy because it has a bubble in the base, the texture is "not right" and the hole that the candle goes in is "too deep". I pointed out that these 'irregularities' were broad features of handmade glass - even of first quality Iittala goods - and that the texture matched every other piece I'd handled but I was told that I was being offensive, and that they were a Finnish glass expert of 40 years standing.

???

Are there exceptionally good fakes I don't know about? I really don't want to be selling them inadvertently.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Iittala Festivo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
It looks pretty like both of mine, one of which which has the remnants of a label on, although they don't have any accidental air bubbles in them to help you, I'm afraid, Nic. The TS mark is the same.

Why would anybody fake these? They're common and not expensive.

However, if they claim to be such an expert, why are they not a member here, helping out?
What books have they written, or academic papers published?

And why on earth would an "expert of 40 years' experience in Finnish glass", be buying something as common as a couple of Festivo candlesticks?
The favourite trick of the bully is to accuse the victim of doing precisely what they are doing themselves.
I strongly suspect you have an offensive buyer, not offensive glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 06:27:30 PM »
Hullo Sue. Thanks for taking a look.

There are actual Festivo copies out there - the ones that I'm aware of - but they're very easy to spot, being very uniform and machine-made.

We've four larger signed Festivo candlesticks in stock, all from different sources, and three of them have a tiny bubble or two idling about somewhere within them. But, then, if they're apparently all fake, being much the same as the smaller one, that information isn't much use either.

::)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »
Existential crisis over. Partially. Now they're no longer claimed to be copies - but "rejects".

AFAIK, with a lot of glass-works quality control tends to come before signing glass, and second quality tends not to be signed the same way as first quality, if at all...

That said, I'm not sure I've ever run into identifiable Iittala second quality items. Were they, indeed, signed and sold?

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »
There are actual Festivo copies out there - the ones that I'm aware of - but they're very easy to spot, being very uniform and machine-made.
I have several Festivo candlesticks (signed and with stickers) - and one of the copies (about 50p on the fleamarket - for comparison): as you write, much more uniform. Also the base finish is smooth (not sure if polished would be the right word), whilst with the signed ones there is some texture in the central area.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
As far as I know, the machine-made knock-offs are Japanese.

Offline kathykate

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All but love Scandinavian
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
Hello Pinkspoons

I'm so glad I've found your message!

I, too, have just sold a pair of Festivo candlesticks, am certain they are genuine. But Buyer claimed  " one candle stick has very sharp parts inside where the candle goes the other candle stick is rough where the candle goes sadly these are seconds". I said I'd refund, just to keep the peace, and then resell to someone more sane.... Unfortunately she/he didn't wrap them well enough when they sent them back and one arrived with big chip off of bottom. Obviously I said I would refund for one, but not the other. Now things are getting a bit nasty, and they say they are "one of three Finnish experts who deal with Iittala and other items. both candlesticks are faulty and seconds ( imperfect), the also not genuine they are copies made in China. in simple plain selling they are both fake." So they have changed their story from seconds, to fake. They signed off with this
'Are you Iittala and Finnish expert? if so what part of Finland did you do your training? '

If there are any of the other two Finnish experts on here who could verify my candlesticks, I'd be most grateful LOL!

Also had the cheek to say that if they were Iittala they would not have been damaged in post, so it proves they are fake. I think any glass item will chip if it's  not wrapped well enough and goes through the post!

I'm dying to know if your 'finnish expert' and mine are the same person!! If someone could take a look at my items, I'd be grateful to know if they thought they look genuine. Both are signed to bottom.

I am doing my best to neutral and only stating facts, but I'm in half a mind to refund everything just to get this annoyance out of my system, I swear I get palpitations every time I get a message from them and life is too short! Apparently we may end up in the County Court over this.... (this was also in last message to me).

Regards
Kate

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 01:08:54 AM »
These all look good to me... all art glass has the potential for air bubbles, and as these are apparently made in wooden moulds that wear over time, there will be inevitable slight differences, depending on the age of the mould used.
The fakes are easy to spot.
Pinkspoons and kathykate, are you both certain that the returned items are the ones you originally posted?  One scam that some bidders use is to buy an item say it is damaged and return one they already had that was damaged.
kathykate,  you should really only refund one candlestick,  if you sold on eBay, they stipulate clearly that returned items must be properly packaged for return posting.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline kathykate

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All but love Scandinavian
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 06:02:45 AM »
Thank you RosiePosie, it is good to get someone else's opinion. I've seen pictures of the fake Festivos and personally I think you can tell the difference a mile off! I have received the same ones back, so they are not trying to pull a fast one there, and I also found a shard of glass in the box so pretty sure it happened in transit. They had put the bubble wrap around the items but hadn't taped it on, so one had worked loose. If only they had arrived in one piece all would have been good, it would have been a straight refund! I think I will ride it out, but have read that most often than not Ebay decide in favour of the buyer.

I only decided to sell to make room for more bits and bobs! Should have just kept them...

Regards
Kate

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:40:47 AM »
In the section 'Returning an Item', this is the instruction a buyer gets  for returning an item:

5. Pack the item carefully. Include the packing slip, apply the postage label, and send the item back to the seller. You must return the item – in the same condition as you received it – within 14 calendar days of requesting the return. It's good practice to include tracking information (if available) when returning an item.

It is good that you are being factual and calm about this,  but stick to your guns.  If the bubblewrap wasn't secured, then they have not obeyed eBay instructions, and the shard in the packing confirms that.
I do hope you win your case, you really should only have to refund for one item.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand