No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Similar to Northwood Royal ivy? Lidded Condiment Pot.  (Read 538 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Similar to Northwood Royal ivy? Lidded Condiment Pot.
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:44:06 PM »
Hi Can anyone tell me what the maker of this glass is please? To me, it's similar to the pictures I've found showing Northwood Royal Ivy, but I think it is slightly different? The metal base tray and lid have Silver Plated and made in England impressed. I know some companies imported glass to finish their product, but I don't know if that's relevant with this item? The glass has a soft iridescence to the outer layer encasing a clear glass interior. any info would be great please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Similar to Northwood Royal ivy? Lidded Condiment Pot.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
Beautiful iridescence.  Possibly a Bohemian piece maybe?  the gold'y' iridescence reminds me of a Bohemian flower bowl I have and a few other pieces I've seen. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »
Thanks flying free 😀 It is very pretty glass and does have the look of some Bohemian glass. Its got a little age to it too, but I don't think it's an antique if the metal base tray and lid are original to it? I've owned it about 6 years and bought it 2nd hand from an antique Fair in Wales purely because of the glass as I don't do condiment pieces, it's previous history was unknown. Thanks for your reply and help 😀

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
maybe 1930s?
Perhaps search through the Kralik.com site and look for Kralik or Welz.  I'm sure I've seen this combination of pink and yellow before and there might be something on Craig's site that matches the decor.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:02:05 PM »
Humour me and try it under a UV light please

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
Hi flying free, thanks for the link, that glass looks identical to this piece to me yes. I've trawled through the Loetz and Kralik glass databases that I know of and the closest I've found is http://www.kralik-glass.com/frametemplate.html  The well Aqua-purple which is more speckled than streaked but comes in iridescent satin as well? I collect kralik, Loetz, a few Welz and Rindskopt pieces and similar and have been comparing with that and it's similar quality to Kralik, and some of my other pieces are encased in or encasing clear glass. Hi Lustrousstone, thanks for your input, I've checked under a uv black light and there's no reaction sorry. Thanks again Chriss 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »
I havent' wanted to mention it because I'm not sure where my thinking is going on this one, but it's kind of like a reverse version of this Loetz, i.e. yours is more pink and yellow than the Loetz ones I've seen which are more yellow with pink, and then yours is iridized but the Loetz versions are 1880s I think and not iridescent.  I'm just cautiously wondering if yours is a later version of that decor I suppose (but that's just a tentative 'that's the way my mind is wandering' type thing.  And now having seen that flower bowl I'm really not sure about that train of thought).
https://www.rubylane.com/item/458334-A-962/Circa-1890-Austrian-Loetz-Marmoriertes-Rainbow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand