No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Multi-coloured Uranium Glass Bowl - Frilled Edge - Gold Decoration  (Read 769 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Asking for a friend as I'm lost when it comes to blown, decorated glass...

This beautiful, large for its kind (approx. Ø 26 cms) bowl was found in Germany.

Any information regarding likely provenance or even maker is gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to look!  :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
Re: Multi-coloured Uranium Glass Bowl - Frilled Edge - Gold Decoration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
Yes, uranium glass  ;D  8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:36:04 PM »
Pamela, I don't know about the decorator but
on page 77 of Truitt's Collectible Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 there is a series of vases and epergne type pieces that appear to be the purple frilled and ruffled rim with a cream interior. 
The picture is in a catalogue from Hosch dated around 1905 and the pics are very small to be able to see any detail.
Nonetheless these pieces look the same as the bowl. 
But none are just a bowl though - they are few vases and then a tall three layer epergne with what appears to be the same bowls. 

However although the glass looks the same, the decoration is much more flowery.

That said, Truitt's say:
 'Hosch utilised the talents of numerous local refiners and the catalog photos on the following pages indicate just how diverse the company was'. So it's probable it was just a different decorator.
It does say in the book that those vase and bowls in those catalogue pages (including the versions like your bowl) were procured from Wilhelm Kralik & Sons, Eleonora.

m

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:55:55 AM »
M, thank you so very much - I had hoped you would see this and leave your highly esteemed comment!
Very happy friend here!  :-* :-*
Pamela

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
 :-* embarrassed as not highly esteemed, but just have some time and some books to look through!

The pontil mark on the bowl is also neatly done, ground but not polished.
That, I think, would fit with the quality of Kralik as well.  Whereas many times on these type of pieces I have seen cracked off pontil marks, not ground and not polished.

Looking at the photos in daylight with a magnifying glass, the bowls also do appear to have the gradiated paler colour between the dark ruffled and undulating rims and the cream bowls as can be seen in your example.

m

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »
M, I beg to apologize my poor knowledge of the English language.  Esteemed was meant in the sense of high value - not an "estimated" comment.  :-[ 
Pamela

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »
 Pamela your English is perfect  :-[ - I was just embarrassed  by your lovely words :)

I wish I had some knowledge of German - then I would be able to read all my  German glass books and understand them.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand