No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do Scandinavian fakes exist and how can you tell?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline MelGale

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th Century
    • UK
Do Scandinavian fakes exist and how can you tell?
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »
I've just started collecting Scandanavian glass, mainly Riihmaki and wondered if it is it is much faked - or, unlike a number of Whitefriairs designs for example, it is still so relatively plentiful and inexpensive that it's not thought worth faking. If indeed it is what should I look out for?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Do Scandinavian fakes exist and how can you tell?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:53:06 AM »
Very little glass is actually faked: a fake being something made with the intent to deceive (it's generally signatures that are faked). What you have to watch out for is similar designs and lookalikes or even reproductions or reissues. You have to know what you are buying. Similar designs is the issue with Scandinavian glass I think. The modern Drunken Bricklayer vases apparently use the original moulds but are not being sold as Whitefriars or even in Whitefriars colours. Caveat emptor.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »

There are certain items that should be aware of that are sold as Riihimaen Lasi, but are not.
The Emma vase was not made as a decanter, but is often sold as such. The same goes for the Sun bottle (Aurinkopullo) vase and the Dice (Arpa on Heitetty). The Sun vase also has an Italian version, but that has "Made In Italy" moulded into the bottom of the bottle, fortunately.
www.designlasi.com has an awful lot of pictures and information about Riihimaen pieces, but not of all, but it seems to grow daily.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
Melgale, in the age of the internet and the glass message board if you have time to do a little bit of research maybe you can be a bit more informed before you purchase.
I made a mistake with this vase because I could not believe that someone would sign this vase so well and not be riihimaki.
 later through the glass message board I found out that it was a piece of Czech glass.
happy hunting
tim

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
High end items may be more likely to be "copied".

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62987.msg353492.html#msg353492

is a thread I posted because the glass for sale on Alibaba was so close to Kosta Boda's Fidji.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand