No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unknown trumpet vase with snail in stem. siged on bottom  (Read 638 times)

Offline jclearstl

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United States
unknown trumpet vase with snail in stem. siged on bottom
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:44:10 AM »
unknown trumpet vase with snail in stem. siged on bottom

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: unknown trumpet vase with snail in stem. siged on bottom
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »

This is all I can find out, at the moment. There doesn't seem to be much information about them.

https://www.antiquehelper.com/item/353361
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »
Hmmm ... B.C.G. = Baron Rock Gr. doesn't convince me.
What about Brittania Creek Glass - see also (with little info - more on one of their artists) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62526.0.html.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:48:43 PM »
Not BCG = Brittania Creek Glass.  Not at all his style nor the way he signed - see photo for a typical BCG signature..

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:20:05 AM »
Not Britannia Creek Glass, either (note the correct spelling). It seems the item of interest is dated 2003. Rob Knottenbelt stopped using the engraved BCG monogram shown by Ross some time in the early 1990s in favour of a pontil stamp. What's more, according to his website he stopped blowing hot glass in 2000.

Here's an intriguing suggestion that is almost certainly a red herring - but in any case a wonderful collection of coincidences. Just 100 miles away from Knottenbelt's BCG=Britannia Creek Glass was another operation called BCG for Battery Creek Glass, operated by artist Allan Crynes. The mark of  that studio is very similar to the OP's example, as can be seen in the attached photo. It consists of the initials BCG and a monogram of the artist's initials AC. What is that extra notation on the OP's specimen after the date?

As far as I know Allan Crynes only made slumped and kiln-cast items including pate de verre, not blown hot glass as in the OP's item. He also seems to have ceased glass making sometime in the 1990s and in any case well before 2003. I'm sure Ross knows more of the history, given that these places are almost in his back yard (within that 100-mile radius).

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 05:41:54 AM »
As far as I know Battery Creek Glass only did slumped or pate de verre.  I know when I did look in in the early 90s that he had enormous stack of the glass out of Telstra phone boxes, which was his basic glass.  All the items had the faint blue/green tinge of that glass.  I did not see any evidence of blown hot glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand