No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass signature. ID = Deborah Fladgate  (Read 2846 times)

Offline firebird

• Members
Glass signature. ID = Deborah Fladgate
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »
Hi. I recently bought this bowl in a job lot at auction. Can anybody help me identify this signature. It appears to start Fle or Flo and ends with a t.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Glass signature
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:47 PM »
Reminds me of Loetz "Schaumglas" (particularly Ausführung A) >> Link

It would be good to provide dimensions and a side on shot. Neither can I see the base finish properly, so I may be completely off the track ;-)

Michael

Offline firebird

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
Hi, thanks very much for your reply, it does look very similar. I'll take some better shots tomorrow.

Offline firebird

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
The dimensions are 11cm diameter x 6.5cm height.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:51:09 PM »
Just to confuse things  ::) the pattern is similar to this piece of Royal Brierley art glass,  ;D ;D

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
As someone who knows very little about this type of glass, I think the right-hand vase in Keith's pic shows a good match to the design pattern.

The "Loetz Schaumglas / Ausführung" A that Michael linked to all have white powdered stripes as a feature of the pattern. However, the pics in Reply #2 do seem to show a sort of striping, or is that a trick of the light?

Keith, what is the base of your item like? Does the pink pattern continue to the underside as in firebird's pic?
KevinH

Offline firebird

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
I can't work out what this signature but Royal Brierley is nearly always signed Studio Glass.
I've attached more pics which show the cloudy white streaks and the signature a little clearer.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »
Picture of base, Royal Brierley Studio is not always marked or may just have Royal Brierley without 'Studio'  I'm sure this is not RB Studio,their art glass usually has a label and no marks, I wondered if this was a piece of 'Foundry' glass, a studio attached to R. Brierley, any chance of a close up of the base and rim ?

Offline firebird

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
Hi Keith. Is this what you mean? I have a collection of Royal Brierley but mine is all the iridescent range from the 80s which all have Royal Brierley Studio Range engraved on the base. I've never seen the one in your pic so I can't comment. It's the signature that's confusing me. The base has a concave polished pontil mark with a slightly rough area left in the centre. Thanks for you interest.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »
The one I posted is from the 'art glass' range not 'studio' the signature doesn't look like the 'foundry' pieces I have, I did see a piece recently with this 'stretched' red spot pattern, that wasn't marked and wasn't R. Brierley either, think you have a bit of a puzzler here  ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand