No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glasshouse Pots  (Read 60209 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glasshouse Pots
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »
And we also know that Caithness has been having dreadful problems with their pots recently, Christine - they told me so when I was there just before we saw you in Crieff.
They got through more than they should have, (was it 5 rather than 3 last year?) they've been patching things up and doing their level best to carry on, but it's a really, really serious problem - and contributing an awful lot extra to the already appalling expense of glassmaking.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
It seems to intimate that they make their own pots? Otherwise, I wonder why they are having so much trouble. It must be such a palaver and a kerfuffle changing the pots - there are enough videos and images to show what was involved. Not for the fainthearted! Pot-making was something each of the larger glass factories used to make themselves and a very skilled job it was too, but nowadays I imagine they are bought in.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »
I don't think so, David. The facilities are not that big in Crieff!
I was trying to glean as much info as possible in the 30 seconds before the shop shut, from a very knowledgable and helpful member of staff. I think I'll have to go back and get it again, when I'm not so much under pressure to remember everything that my brain did its collander thing...
What I do remember is that it is causing truly serious financial stress on Caithness and their ability to stay viable. The pots they've had simply haven't lasted nearly as long as they should have.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
And don't I know it! Wished I had a hardcopy myself, but this is definitely the next best thing. Many thanks.

David, I have the 1968 Ceramic Book Company reprint, which was relatively affordable (US$50).  Wish I had an original, but nyet.  If looking for a copy (or any book), I recommend bookfinder.com, the best meta book-search engine I know of.

--ian

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »
Yes, I do use bookfinder occasionally, and abebooks is also a very good source. One day all these rare books will be on the net but, until then, we'll have to sit around with our legs crossed.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
I have the original, wonder what that fetches now!

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
can I just correctone small factual error in Adam's otherwise excellent post about pots, as someone inbolved in pot buying and use.
You do not "allow the furnace to cool, remove the old pot and heat it up again"!
A furnace has to be cooled slowly so as not to damage the refractories ( bricks, etc), so it would take three weeks to cool down and three weeks to heat up!
So you do a 24 hour pot set, by removing the bricked up front of the furnace taking out the old hot pot ( on a gun carriage or shielded fork lift truck) and replace a pre heated new pot and the bricking up again.
About 3 to 5 hours for a team of 5 guys who loose about 1/2 a stone (7lbs in weight0 through sweat and exercise.
At Nazeing Glass we got up to 18 furnaces ( single for of 750kgs a day). We now have four and two 100kg studio pots, but not all are in use!

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 02:27:09 AM »
I think several of the factories are getting their pots from a French manufaturer. I know my friend Tim Mosser at Mosser Glass here in the US told me last year that was the only place he could get them. and they are extremely expensive. there are several manufacturers here in the US but do make the larger sizes as they are very difficult to produce.
I also know that the Chinese are making their own but have a hard time getting the quality materials they need to make them with.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
For those of you who visit Northern France, there is an excellent museum "Glass vallee Museum at Blangy sur bres;e, the heart of the French bottle glass industry ( over 80% of the world's perfume bottles are made there by about four companies( or their overseas subsidiaries). La Glass Vallée www.la-glass-vallee.com/They show pot making in detail and several jockey pots for small colour runs.
You can also do a "concave" that means blowing cold air on the crack in the pot ( if accessible ) to cool the glass, like stopping a wound with congealed blood! This can sometimes last a few weeks....
Not pot makers do not gurantee their pots, so if it cracks on coming out of teh pot arch, they assume it must be your fault for poor preheating!
Some pots last 10 melts others over 100 melts. At over !1,00 each it makes a big difference to your costs!

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
"I think several of the factories are getting their pots from a French manufaturer"
This is probably Rieux Refractaires in the Oise region, who claim to supply Lalique, Daum, St Louis etc, in France.They are expensive but good I believe.
I cannot find their website!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand