No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: CZECH GLASS I.D. : IS THIS PAVEL HAVLA/EXBOR? PLEASE HELP. ID = Chinese  (Read 6793 times)

Offline LarryB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina, Chribska, Skrdlovice
    • UK
I recently bought this large (20cms) and very heavy (2.2kg) trailed & faceted vase at a jumble sale. The seller claimed it was Mandruzzato, but I'm not entirely convinced by his attribution. In particular, the very deep pontil (3cms deep -see image) is not a characteristic usually associated with Mandruzatto. However, I have seen a very similar style attributed to Pavel Havla for Exbor.  I'm certain that, among our Members, there are many who are infinitely more knowledgeable than myself, and can speak with far more authority than either the seller or myself. Many thanks for your help. Larry.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: CZECH GLASS I.D. : IS THIS PAVEL HAVLA/EXBOR? PLEASE HELP.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »
Hi Larry,

Reminds me of these pieces, marketed as 'Fifth Avenue Crystal' although produced in China as the below labelled example shows.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fifth-Ave-Crystal-Saturn-Cobalt-Blue-Green-Dual-Candle-Holder-and-Vase-/332002118210?nav=SEARCH

Offline LarryB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina, Chribska, Skrdlovice
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
Well done, Greg, and thanks for your very fast response. I'm glad I only paid a few quid for it. Having said that, I am constantly astonished at some of the glass coming out of China nowadays - some of it is derivative of Scandi/Murano/Czech etc, and much of it is tasteless tat, but it's only a matter of time before we see some great Chinese glass artists take the stage. Thanks again. Larry.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
Could it be that you have the vase upside-dpown and it is really a candleholder?
The joy of finding a really nice bit of Chinese contemporary glass that fooled you a little, is that you can happily use it wthout worrying about watermarking or accidents.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
You're most welcome Larry. Some of these pieces are certainly quite similar to some of the very modern Czech Republic pieces around. The quality of the finishing has certainly improved.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »
Definitely a Fifth Avenue piece. I have one in blue as shown and another in green. made to be either a vase or candleholder. Very good quality coming from China with lots of grinding and polishing involved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand