No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: EARLY MDINA // ISLE OF WIGHT. ID = Mdina  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
EARLY MDINA // ISLE OF WIGHT. ID = Mdina
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »
Could someone please clarify for me please ....I note on the Isle of Wight Site that the earliest show "ID mark" is a broken pontil mark...... I have had many a Mdina piece but not one with this.... did any of the Mdina pieces have broken marks please?????  .... many thanks Gareth

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: EARLY MDINA // ISLE OF WIGHT
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
You'll consistently find broken pontil marks on chalices and goblets from Mdina, and also on some experimental early things. But they're not common.  :)
No piccie, Gareth. Lovely to see you. :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:08:04 PM »

Ah now thats why I've not seen any.... having not imbibed for so long its been many year since I tipped up a chalice or goblet ...... I'll pop out a couple of photos and paste them on the wall here...... Its good that you're still at the other end Sue :-)    ..... warm wishes to you   Gareth

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »
Hi Sue..... heres a couple of photographs .....its a 3 sided dimpled vase ...approx 16 cms high  ..... cheers Gareth

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
That's early, experimental Tortoiseshell, a non standard shape in small pieces, but the tricorn attenuated bottles might have been developed from this sort of thing.
Completely consistent with having a broken pontil scar, it would have been made before they had polishing facilties readily available, I suppose.
The colours in early Tortiseshell are lovely, not boring browns but rich, deep, warm tones. :)

It is slightly reminiscent of a certain brand of whisky bottle, isn't it? Dimple.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »
Unfortunately it was empty when I bought it....!!! .... so what do think Sue Mdina or IOW ....... a million thanks as always for your considered and very knowledgable replies .... really appreciated  Gareth

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »
Mdina, absolutely. Early, experimental and lovely. It's a good 'un.
Sorry I didn't make that clear.  :)

When they were doing slightly similar, early experimental IoWSG in these sorts of colours, they tended to be oranger and in really thick chunky glass, much less vessel-like.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand