No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nazeing vase?  (Read 599 times)

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
Nazeing vase?
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »
I'm guessing that this conical case might be Nazeing but I'm happy to be corrected. 11.5cm tall, mottled purple which becomes more heavily streaked towards the foot with lots of air bubbles. Whitefriars-type ground out pontil scar, wear to foot ring.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Nazeing vase?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
hi  -  you don't explain why you're 'guessing' Nazeing, so unsure if you have Geoff. Timblerlake's book or not.         I'm with you for Nazeing on the shape, but it's the colour that's giving the problem plus the bubble intensity doesn't look strong enough.    However, you learn in this game never to say never ;)        They were known for their swirling bubbles, and I can't really see that in this piece, although the colour may be preventing a good image, and in the book their lilacs and purple don't generally appear anywhere near as dense or dark as this one.

W/Fs certainly did a shape similar to this, but theirs wasn't bubbled or swirly - just a dense solid colour, and with a ring to die for (as with many of their thin pieces).             Having a good quality ground and polished pontil depression is not remotely exclusive to W/Fs  -  many factories produced pieces with such a feature - some of them British too ;)

If this is neither then regret that's the limit of my knowledge on unmarked purple pieces. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply at length. I don't have the book, I'm afraid, and Nazeing is purely a hunch, based on a very limited knowledge of similar pieces and ignorance of other possible glass makers! To my knowledge I've never had a piece of Nazeing so I'm relying on internet photos which isn't always the ideal way to assist identification. The mottling is a bit odd as it looks like blotchy clouding while the bubbles are restricted to the bottom half. Talking of bottoms, the base of the interior is - how can I put this politely? - puckered like a cat's anus! Whitefriars is invariably better finished and the underside just doesn't look like theirs, despite the polished scar.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:54:49 AM »
we've had plenty of good pix of Nazeing glass on the Board previously, so if you use the Board's Search you should find much with which to compare this piece, and you can then see what it should look like.
From what you're saying, plus what we can see, I've a strong feeling your piece isn't from either Nazeing or W/Fs  -  let's hope someone else is able to help.
Sorry this hasn't been more positive. :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:23:55 PM »
I am hoping for other replies.

I have an example pretty much the same as SNJ's except mine is slightly shorter in height at 11.0 cm (4 3/8 inch).

I agree with Paul about the shape being like a Nazeing one - for tumblers as part of a set with a jug (Fig 54 on page 77 & also in colour examples on page 50 of Geoff Timberlake's book).

The interior of mine looks to be "cloudy" rather than "bubbled" - as SNJ says. However, for patterning, page 50 of Timberlake does show some examples in the "lilacs and purples" section that seem to have a similar "cloudy" effect. The base of the interior is probably the same formation as SNJ's.

Mine shows shows that the outer colour is a solid amethyst casing and therefore hides the interior patterning. This does seem to differ from Nazeing examples.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »
That cloudy laying on of colour is something seen on French glass I think and something I have never seen on glass from anywhere else.
It's not possible with the photos being so very small, to see exactly. 
And that laying on of colour might be what gets an id.  So is it possible to load the photos at 600x 400 pixels please with a clear photo of the colour held up to the light so the way the cloudiness is done can be seen properly please?
There are French makers who made goblets in this shape I think. Lemonade sets iirc?  I could be wrong as not a lot of time to search at the mo.
thanks

m

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »
Hopefully I've attached larger and clearer photos  ::).

I'm not really sure what the glass makers were trying to achieve as the blotches look more like cloudy patches or bloom rather than the attractive spatter effect that might have been the result. Against any dark background it looks like a simple purple vase or goblet, whereas in light, or against any light background, this unattractive clouding is immediately visible. It's a little difficult to tell but it seems that the effect is applied to the inside rather than all through the glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
mm, the glasses I'm thinking of I can't find with the foot.  Also the pontil mark is quite normal sized and neat.  I'm not sure about all Schneider but
 my French pieces including a Schneider bowl all have very large pontil marks.

This is an example of  a Schneider lemonade jug with the mottled effect - it does have bubbles in but their picture isn't that clear unfortunately probably because of the colour and the shape meaning it's hard to get the effect of one layer.
I have a good example bowl but unfortunately am without my laptop at the mo so can't upload a clear picture of the mottling for you to compare.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/208466497/gorgeous-art-deco-schneider-glass?ref=market
this image also shows the cloudy mottled effect

http://picclick.ca/Charles-Schneider-Grande-Coupe-1920-30-Pink-Brown-Art-322226716438.html#&gid=1&pid=5

I love that cloudy mottled effect :) your goblet is very pretty.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand