No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby black sugar and cream  (Read 913 times)

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Sowerby black sugar and cream
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:15:53 PM »
At least I am assuming they are Sowerby.

Black sugar and cream that at first glance look like Sowerby designs for 4 Nov 1878 except that they are twice the size!

The Queensware sugar? fits inside the black sugar.

Peacock design on the rims are almost the same with a different number of leaves on the sunflowers and a mottled background.

Better pictures of the QW pieces here, http://e-britain.co.uk/victorian_pressed_glass/gallery_sowerby.htm under Queensware.

There are no marks on either piece. Sugar, 90mm high, 170mm wide, creamer 90mm high, 90mm wide.

I have not seen them before, Sowerby or a copy, what do people think?

Sorry about the images, black is a 'difficult' colour to picture.

Mike
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Sowerby black sugar and cream
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:25:34 PM »
I would say they were probably OK. Some of the sugar bowls were huge. I think you have an individual set and a family size set. Different mould makers probably explains the pattern differences

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:05:23 PM »
Hi Mike,
If you see the Sowerby 1882 catalogue page 7 here: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/glass_catalogues/sowerbyglass_catalogues/sowerbyglass_catalogue1882-07.htm
the first item is your bowl, pattern #1350 the large sugar and #1350 1/2  the small sugar.
Kind regards
Nick

Offline MHT

• Members
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:16 PM »
Thanks Nick, pattern number 1350 is different, it has' nipples' at the top of the handles and is only 110mm wide.
For some reason the QW creamer, which has the same reg mark as #1350 & #1350 1/2, is not in that pattern book.

Sorry for the confusion, I pictured the Queensware pieces only to show the difference in size.

The black pieces are much larger than the smaller QW pieces. Unusual that there are no trade or registration marks.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:14 PM »
Sorry Mike, should have looked closer, in fact I mentioned the ears in a previous discussion about pattern #1350 doh! I see you have both versions on your website, which I really enjoy by the way, great collection and great photos.
Kind regards
Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand