No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Scratched" out pontil mark - rather than polished  (Read 3823 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
"Scratched" out pontil mark - rather than polished
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:26:56 AM »
Hi All,

I've just bought this bottle vase as I liked the trailed bit in the glass........there she goes getting all technical again  :roll: ........but it has a pontil mark that has been "scratched" rather than polished - although it still feels fairly smooth.  Wondered if anyone could identify the likely source - I have a feeling it's going to be China..............

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/normal_smaller_bottle_vase.jpg

detail of pontil

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0798.jpg

Thank you
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:36:50 AM »
I think these are either Polish or Romanian..

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: "Scratched" out pontil mark - rather than poli
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »
Quote from: "catshome"
it has a pontil mark that has been "scratched" rather than polished - although it still feels fairly smooth.  Wondered if anyone could identify the likely source - I have a feeling it's going to be China..............

Don't assume China.  I'm not saying it's not, but I have a Peter Layton paperweight with a matt finished base.  I also have an Alistair Macintosh weight with a similar finish.  And at Art in Action last week we saw Anthony Wassell pieces with the same sort of base.  

Just to be quite clear, I'm not saying this piece was by any of those glass artists, just that too many people see the matt finished base and immediately say "Chinese".  Other people than Chinese glass-makers do sometimes finish their work in this way.  That's all I'm saying.
Leni

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 08:35:29 PM »
I have seen these before but there does appear to be different one's with shorter necks.

Krosno would be a good place to start (similar item on this page).
http://www.krosno.com.pl/
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:03:12 PM »
Leni - I take your point about not making the assumption...............although I meant it more in the "just my luck it'll turn out to be China" way.

Tigerchips - thanks for the link - I loved seeing their glass and there are a few bits I will be happy to snap up if I see them around!  However, they have flat cut tops on their pieces, and this vase has a natural finish - yep...........definitely getting to grips with the jargon  :lol: .

Ivo - I've seen quite a lot of Polish glass recently, but all with polished pontils, so perhaps this will turn out to be Romanian.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to look.

Night night
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 05:35:07 AM »
The pontil is ground not scratched. This is the first finishing stage prior to polishing. Alot of makers only take it this far. It looks scratchy because a small disc was used. Monart and Vasart were left in this state but used a larger wheel so no grooving. http://www.ysartglass.com/BaseLabel/Bases.htm
John Deacons Ysart style glass ware used a coarser finish. http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/JohnDeacons.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand