No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener Blue Opalescent Glass Creamer ? ID = Greener & Co. RD 196641  (Read 2083 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Blue opalescent glass creamer not signed or marked but I am pretty sure its Henry Greener.

Fred have you any of this pattern in your galleries. There is a similar Davidson pattern I think, but this should be Greener.

Height 4.25"

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Henry Greener Blue Opalescent Glass Creamer ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
Thank you for showing this Roy.

I'm sure that I've seen this pattern somewhere before, but I'm not sure where, and I don't seem to have any photos of it.

It's a shame it's not marked because, to me too, the type of pattern, the base colour, and the colour and distribution of the opalescence would be strongly indicative of a Greener & Co. attribution from between 1885 and 1895.

I've checked through the extant unregistered Davidson designs 1880-1890 and there is no match there.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:36:42 PM »
Hi Fred

I thought exactly the same that I have seen the pattern .I have not had time to go through all my pictures as they are in no order, but will keep looking.

Everything also screams Henry Greener to me also . Doubled checked not even a faint mark.

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »
Success, Roy! Greener it was.

Greener & Co. RD 196641,  registered 10 August 1892 (described by Thompson as " pattern, mostly imit. cut").

I only had two reference photos for this pattern, both for small tumblers - one in opalescent yellow uranium glass, and the other in blue opalescent glass - but, for reason, I hadn't added them to the GMB RD database.

The photos of the cream jug will be a  nice addition to the GMB RD  reference files, and I intend to add those +  both my other photos asap.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Henry Greener Blue Opalescent Glass Creamer ? ID = Greener & Co. RD 196641
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Thank you Fred

I carried on checking through some of my pictures and found that I sold the 2 blue tumblers a few years ago and looking at the background most likely the yellow opalescent one. I will have another check through and see if I can find any other pictures which may be of interest to you .

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »
Thank you, Roy.

Photos now on the GMB RD database, all duly credited to you.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:14:40 AM »
Fred Thank you

Do you have pictures of the Heppell Davidson covered shell butter dish ?, if not let me know .

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
I do, Roy. It's from Heppell RD 374437 of 6 December 1881.

I have a photo of the covered butter on its own (which looks to be in opaque white or possibly ivory glass) and one with the matching sugar basin and cream jug (which all look to be in opaque white glass).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 06:19:37 PM »
Unlike the majority of National Archive drawings where the design is shown on a specifically shaped item of glass, Rd. 196641 is of the far less common variety where the original factory representation is simply a geometric design on paper.................    as shown attached. 

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:45 PM »
Thank you, Paul -much appreciated.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum