No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett agate flambe for show  (Read 4773 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Webb Corbett agate flambe for show
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
it is quite restricted in availability.
  There are not that many pieces around.  I mentioned this on another thread .. I'll try and find it.

ah here:
More information in this thread and where you can see the effect of how the light is transmitted whether onto the glass or through the glass from behind on one of the pieces.  However, my piece is not transparent at all as it has a purple interior.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58232.msg329914.html#msg329914
m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:02 PM »
The old advertising picture clearly shows my candle sticks but there is no mention of the colour in Charles book only blue and purple, perhaps they are  Webb Corbett but something else, or the purple and blue are not agate flambe and something else, it depends on what info he had at the time and examples to hand.

The picture in the book looks the right colourway for mine so perhaps there were three versions or maybe more ?.

Probably people do not know what they have, look at all the Brierley keith keeps finding, a massive variety of shapes and techniques, the local factories copied each other once a new product was made.
Chris Parry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
It's always possible they might have been something else (another decor), but actually if you look at 18th century Blue John urns and also at 19th century pieces, the variation in colour and effect is absolutely huge.

There is an auction photo here and a link to a description of the auction.  It was an auction of a huge collection of blue john.
http://www.fellows.co.uk/blog/antiques/files/2015/09/Blue-JOhn-viewings.jpg
https://www.fellows.co.uk/blog/antiques/files/2015/10/matthewboulton.jpg
http://www.fellows.co.uk/blog/antiques/tag/blue-john/

So you can see a little bit of the range from purple to ochre .

The Webb Corbett Agate Flambe range was a truly inspired design idea.  Not least because they are beautiful and unusual,  but because they can fall under that 'range' name and still be completely different in colour and decor to each other.

I think the candlesticks are right.  It would be good to have a photograph of them with light behind to show the colours of the holder part not just the foot.

I have another bowl arriving today.  It is exactly the same shape as my purple Agate Flambe bowl, but totally different in design effect and colour.

m

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
I have two pieces of Webb & Corbett agate flambe glass, both vases. One is unmarked and is a rich raspberry coloured glass main body with flecks of green and flecks and striations of of tumbling yellowish powdery dust within the glass main body.It measures 5 inches in height and the base diameter is 4 -3/4 inches in diameter. Pontil mark is ground but not polished.
The second one is a bottle vase in deep purple glass with a multitude of colours within the glass and is made to resemble "Blue John" and when viewed in strong sunlight it certainly resembles "Blue John" and is really beautiful.It measures 5 inches in height and it is 4-3/4 inches in diameter around it's middle.This vase is marked            "W & C" and    "England"       below  within a polished pontil mark.

As soon as  I can I will put photo's of both vases on this discussion thread.                                                                           

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »
I tried my best to photograph these two Webb & Corbett agate/flambe vases but found them very difficult to photograph trying to keep my reflection out of the glass.Hope these photo's give you some idea of the colour and internal striations within these two vases.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
aah is it possible to photograph them without the light shining through them?
Maybe against a white sheet of paper with just daylight falling onto them, so we can see the colour flecks effect please?

The signature I think, is done by the same person on all the ones I've seen.  All very slightly different (so the tall neck slim vases you can tell apart online as there are very slight differences in the signature 'g' for example) but I think all done by the same person.

Lovely shape the purple one.

Thank you for sharing

m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »
A couple of picture of the rims.
Chris Parry

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 03:19:39 AM »
Came across a vase of the same shape as JOBLINGLASS ... the unsigned raspberry agate flambé shown above. Mine is signed with the engraved W & C / England mark.

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 03:50:12 AM »
Agate Flambé.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
Thank you for sharing and adding photographs :)

Lovely colourway.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand