No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New news about Nieuw Buinen  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
New news about Nieuw Buinen
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
I don't think that we Dutch folks shared this information yet..
For many years we have realised that there are products in circulation which were not actually made in Leerdam or Maastricht, but we have never had much success with identifying the producers.
Mystery products include a Rupert Bear pudding mould and plate (Bruintje Beer) and also a huge range of (spuwglelijke) stem vases in a Murano-esque free-form style which typically have a lot of colour ribbons in a rather muted colour.
The research by a local collector has borne fruit and we now know much more about the factory at Nieuw Buinen. Some products were made for the larger glass companies 'on contract', others made to order for commercial customers, and some made freely hand-blown in the factory and wholesaled into the retail trade in Holland.
http://www.glaswerknieuwbuinen.nl/
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: New news about Nieuw Buinen
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
love those pudding bowls!  really sweet
m

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:35 PM »
Make a pudding/blancmange/jelly and it will have Rupert on the top holding the pudding in his hand.

But if you are a good girl and you eat it ALL up, then you will find Rupert again on your clean plate, but this time no pudding, just a bulging tummy!
This is how Granny got the kids to eat all that healthy...food. (?)
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »
Thanks Jay, what an eye-opener.
Went to their website and now I have a few questions of my own.
Will keep you posted.

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline GWNB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nw-Buinen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »
I don't think that we Dutch folks shared this information yet..
For many years we have realised that there are products in circulation which were not actually made in Leerdam or Maastricht, but we have never had much success with identifying the producers.
Mystery products include a Rupert Bear pudding mould and plate (Bruintje Beer) and also a huge range of (spuwglelijke) stem vases in a Murano-esque free-form style which typically have a lot of colour ribbons in a rather muted colour.
The research by a local collector has borne fruit and we now know much more about the factory at Nieuw Buinen. Some products were made for the larger glass companies 'on contract', others made to order for commercial customers, and some made freely hand-blown in the factory and wholesaled into the retail trade in Holland.
http://www.glaswerknieuwbuinen.nl/

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum about the glass. I am the son of the local collector which you mentioned before. I wanted to let you know that the website has currently been updated (still doing so :-) ) with some new information and images.

Often Leerdam and Schiedam are mentioned as important producers of glass in The Netherlands. But nobody is mentioning Nw-Buinen, which is pretty strange because in Nw-Buinen was the biggest glass industry from the country.

From July till September there is a new exhibition coming up about the different kind of glass which are produced here. You can find some more information on www.glaswerknieuwbuinen.nl.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask me!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
Welcome to the GMB, and thanks for the news of the update to the website.

I have a question:
For "Pruikenbol", google translates this as "Wig ball" (or wig stand). Is that a collector term or were those items actually produced as wig stands? In the UK many people call them "mantel ornaments" but many also say "wig stand".
KevinH

Offline GWNB

• Members
    • Nw-Buinen
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
Welcome to the GMB, and thanks for the news of the update to the website.

I have a question:
For "Pruikenbol", google translates this as "Wig ball" (or wig stand). Is that a collector term or were those items actually produced as wig stands? In the UK many people call them "mantel ornaments" but many also say "wig stand".

Hi Kevin, thanks for welcoming me!

As far as I know, they actually are made as 'pruikenbollen' or wig stands. But often people use them for decoration, like some of my family did. We got a few of them which are made in 1890 by glass producer A.J. Bakker which was located in Nw-Buinen.  :)

Offline GWNB

• Members
    • Nw-Buinen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
People who are curious or interested about the glass which are made in Nieuw-Buinen (DR): There is a exhibition from 8 July till 2 October with as theme the glass factory from Nanninga.

See Exhibition: Dutch glass | Nieuw-Buinen in the Events forum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand