No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Tango glass?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline blueglasslass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Is this Tango glass?
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
Here are the photos of what I think may be 'Tango' glass, again, the pics are small, but you might be able to tell? (Keeping fingers crossed!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this Tango glass?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »
hi  -  regret tango glass not my thing, although there are folk here who do have some knowledge in that area of Czech glass   .................   but, the Mods. will probably shoot you - in the nicest possible way of course, because     .........            The system here, at least in theory, is to have one subject only per thread - as you can imagine, multiple pieces on one thread are confusing, and folk end up not knowing which piece we're talking about    -  hopefully the Mods will be able to split this most recent piece off to a separate post. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »
Tsk! Mods are not known for shooting people Paul, what will members think of us?!    ;D

Amanda, I've split this vase off from your blue/white one, and your images are all uploaded for you there and in this topic... as I can only add four to a post I'm adding the next four for this vase to my post for you...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline blueglasslass

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
Thank you Anne! I've realised that Tango is a style and could have been manufactured by a variety if Czech companies. So I guess the query is, which company made it?  :) (it had a marble stuck inside which my partner heroically removed - it had been in there for decades! Soaking in warm soapy water, WD40 and finally super glue on end of pencil pulled it out!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
from screen pix alone it would be difficult to dispute this as being 'tango' glass - it looks to qualify in all the right areas  -  have a look at
www.20thcenturyglass.com   -   it gives information of interest.              I've no idea, but with the current fashion for copying all things antique and vintage, are similar pieces still being made?

My only thought was that the shading of what appears to be yellow/orange, looks a little unusual for tango glass, but as I say I'm a bit thick in this area.                Another point to mention is that most tango glass is cased..........   either with crystal (clear) or with another colour.     I suspect this piece would be cased in clear  -  is it??            It's useful to provide details of dimensions too  -  the height would be adequate - it can sometimes help, although in this instance - assuming the vase is period - then it will have probably been made somewhere between the two wars.

Just realized that having spent some years owning Ruth A. Forsythe's book, nowhere does the lady use the word 'tango'  -  perhaps it's a post 1982 term.                This is probably an art deco design   -  whether it's old or recent. ;)
Regret to say Amanda that almost certainly you will never know the maker  -  too many small glass houses making such wares - and the vast majority of backstamps that can be found on these pieces will almost certainly just say 'Made in Czechoslovakia'.

Offline blueglasslass

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
Hi Paul, thank you for your response.

The vase is 16cm tall and the rim on the top is 9cm in diameter. It certainly has a clear casing evident on the base, less obvious nearer the top. Hope that helps. The rim is black. It is more orange inside, I think the photos make it look too orange on the outside near the top, it is more yellow, but as you say, darker than the yellow on the base, nevertheless.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
thanks.        My opinion is that unfortunately it's unlikely you'll get any further with provenance or attribution for this piece  -  you probably already know about as much as you're ever going to know :)
Assuming it has appropriate wear for c. 1930 ish, then about all you can say is this is almost certainly a piece of tango from eastern Europe and from that period.
I think tango started with Loetz, and then went down-market and became a sort of tourist glass - but it's colourful and 100% more attractive than a clear glass vase.
Put it away in the cupboard and go out and buy something for which we can offer you provenance and attribution ;)

Offline blueglasslass

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
Thank you Paul :-)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »
It is not that unusual to get a little variation in colour with these vases but yours is more pronounced, nice example.

It might well have been made by Welz:
http://www.kralik-glass.com/welz-images/shapes/vase/ws43.jpg

from this group on Kralik.com:
http://www.kralik-glass.com/welzshapevasearray.html

Result with that marble!

John

Offline blueglasslass

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
Thanks so much John! Looks like we are on target with Welz :-) The shape matches some of those and the yellow vase - same yellow and black rim too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand