No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano or T K Maxx?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Macquirie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Murano or T K Maxx?
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »

Hi,
      I'm a newby to this forum and this is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I recently bid on a Glass lot in a Charity Auction and won! Included in the lot was this Ruby Vase, it has a flared crimped rim that is clear with copper inclusions, the body has nice controlled bubbles with a polished pontil scar underneath, just wondering if it's Murano or T K Maxx? Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mac

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Re: Murano or T K Maxx?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »
Hi Mac, I have a large bowl which I wanted to identify the same type as your vase. I posted it a few months ago, Ivo said it was Empoli, but I can't find any info. They turn up quite often in all shapes, bowls, vases and baskets. Somebody else said they didn't think the quality was good enough to be Murano. I'm still not sure what it is.  ???    Cheryl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
They usually have gold in the trim, not aventurine though...  ???

Offline Macquirie

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:08:18 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your replies  :)

Lustrousstone - I'm not sure what you mean by Gold and not Aventurine? like I say complete Newbie.

Mac

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »
at the risk of offending Christine.............. :-*

strictly speaking aventurine inclusions means that the sparkle is produced by one of the colours of quartz flakes, since aventurine is a mineral, rather than a metallic source such as copper or gold  -  so believe Christine is suggesting that the sparkle here is produced by aventurine and not gold - as might be the case with Empoli.
regret I'm not clever enough to see just from these photos exactly what is producing the sparkle here.

Personally, I haven't a clue where this piece of glass was made - sorry to be unhelpful - but I do like it :)

P.S.        as a totally uneducated punt, mho is that the outline shape and rim of this piece are too conventional for Murano - but that is only an opinion..........   can also add that Murano did use copper, silver and gold flake inclusions in their mid C20 wares  -  and unfortunately, they, or more accurately various authors, used the word aventurine when describing these metallic inclusions  -  although correctly these descriptions aren't interchangeable.             I'm not aware that Murano glass has ever included real aventurine  ...........  but am sure someone will correct me very quickly if I'm wrong. ;D

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »
On the subject of "aventurine" my simplified understanding is summed up by Harold Newman, in his book, An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass, 1977 & 1987:
aventurine glass: A type of translucent glass ... simulating brownish aventurine quartz ... The earliest form, of brownish colour flecked with copper (called 'gold aventurine') ... beginning of the 17th century ... attributed to a Murano glass-making family ..."

I believe the "problem" is that the term "aventurine glass" has in so many cases been abbreviated by makers, authors and collectors (etc. etc.) to "aventurine" and the implicit "simulation of metallic particles" is simply overlooked.
KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »
Empoli does seem favourite for this style, more examples and that previous discussion here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62540.0.html

If this vase is like the others it will be gold leaf added to the clear glass.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »
The sparkly bits look too big and blobby and too copper coloured to be gold from what I can see

Offline Macquirie

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »

I agree with Christine (just spotted your name there!) the inclusions look quite large and most definitely Copper in colour rather than Gold, however I must confess that I have no knowledge on how the heating process affects metals and compounds during manufacture!

Mac

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
Gold and silver are generally unaffected, so bits of aventurine glass in this rather than gold flakes/foil, which might take it to China rather than Italy IMO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand