No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Recent Find - Guess What it is!  (Read 12606 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
My Recent Find - Guess What it is!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 05:15:14 PM »
Fleur de lys for Steuben, interesting. Does it ever appear without the name?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 05:33:05 PM »
I don't think so, Frank.  The banner and word Steuben go through the middle of the fleur-de-lis.

Maybe Ivo can provide more info.  The mark on my piece is that on page 137 in Ivo's book without F. Carder underneath.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »
On page 494 of 'Glasmarken Lexicon 1600-1945' there are two examples of a 1903-32 mark for Steuben, which both feature a fleu-de-lis with a ribbon running through it.

One version has Steuben written across the ribbon, the other does not. Interestingly the version with the word Steuben also has the words 'HAND WROUGHT' written underneath the fleu-de-lis and ribbon.
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 01:40:06 AM »
Quote from: grayhorse
I thought it might be English when I saw it.

That makes a lot of sense, as I thought S &W might be the maker, but thought that was too obvious. Since Carder may have been responsible for the design that would make a lot of sense though.

I hadn't really aprreciated Carder's contribution to glass design, but recent findings (including GSM contributions) have switched me on to this designer. From what I have seen, his contributions are as relevant as those of Keith Murray and certainly equivalent to Dresser when it comes to the prolification of modern design/art.

This reminds me of the recent (and brilliant) thread on UK studio glass. Let's just say that the heritage of UK Studio Glass goes back further than most would realise i.e. pre Layton, Harris or Herman (see http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6207.0.html.) Why didn't anyone mention Monart, Vasart or Ysart. A recent ATG booklet showed several examples of Scottish Art Glass that looked very much like Studio Glass and was very similar to pieces produced by Mdina.

Am I wrong?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 09:04:24 AM »
David can you send me a scan of that ATG article please. Monart and Vasart do not qualify as Studio Art Glass, it is factory glass. However, if you check the chronology Paul Ysart is included as he set up his own Studio with no more than one or two assistants at a time.

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 10:45:58 AM »
Frank, the article in question is in the ATG summer guide booklet and not particularly easy to scan. I do however have two copies, so if you want me to post you a duplicate copy PM with your address.

I understand what you are saying about Monart and Vasart, but these were very small factories. At what point does a studio become a factory, it’s an interesting dilemma? I'm sure that there are studio artists working in facilities that are large, and employ more people than Monart ever did, yet they will no doubt still be regarded as studio practitioners.

The point I was really making is that regardless of whether Monart or Vasart were factory makers, the work produced by them was aesthetically studio glass. I visit many design/art shows each year and there are many studio practitioners who produce work that looks like Monart or Mdina (or strongly influenced by them), so although Monart may be considered to be a factory maker, their influence on studio glass is particularly relevant.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 11:21:26 AM »
David can you repost that question in the Studio Glass thread as it is an important question for that topic.

Will mail address thank you.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 11:22:23 AM »
:? :? :?

I suppose Monart and Mdina are both made of coloured glass. They have at least this in common! Oh, and they're both hot-worked.
I see no other real similarities!

Aren't different points of view interesting!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 12:04:44 PM »
There are some examples of Monart that are very similar to Mdina. They are admittedly rare, but they do exist none the less.

As Frank has suggested I will re-post my query in the Studio Glass thread, where this subject would be more appropriately discussed.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 03:22:28 PM »
:D :D :D

I think we will have to agree to disagree, David.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand