No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Recent Find - Guess What it is!  (Read 12608 times)

Connie

My Recent Find - Guess What it is!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 09:44:15 PM »
Thank you, Della.

My stamp looks like the one at the top that is the authentic stamp.

I guess I will send pictures to the CMOG and let them make the determination.  Or I could bring it since I am less than 100 miles from them  :wink:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
I'm willing to bet $$$ that it's NOT Steuben  :D

/Blair
American and European Art Glass, Antique to Contemporary
http://www.glasshound.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David Hier

• Members
    • http://www.glassfairs.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 10:53:02 PM »
Quote from: "Glasshound"
I'm willing to bet $$$ that it's NOT Steuben  :D

/Blair

To start with I would like to say that I'm not an expert (not even remotely, so this is just my opinion) on Steuben.

Secondly, the mark as described (and illustrated in a previous message) does indeed seem to be correct. The mark is identical to that illustrated in Glassmarken Lexicon, which is one of the best resources available for glassmakers marks, and I (and my father) have yet to find any mistakes in the publication.

Finally........if the bowl isn't Steuben, it seems remarkable that I managed to guess that the piece was by them, given my limited knowledge. I don't know the factory very well, but I finally guessed the maker after recollecting similar pieces I have seen (although these were amber with black threads 'scattered all over' - as mentioned by grayhorse).

The only doubt I had was the fact that the bowl seemed to have a cut-off rim. This however may be a miss-interpretation of the image. If the rim is cut-off, then an eastern European origin would make sense (including a fake acid mark).
Visit www.glassfairs.co.uk for information on the original National Glass Fair.

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 11:03:01 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
David thank you for the ATG booklet. But, Oh dear, it has quite a few errors and also has a wrongly attributed piece on - Page 33 Blue/yellow stripey.

See http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/NotYsart.htm 3rd row.

If that was at a Lyon & Turnbull sale, they were told. But at frequently happens at that sale room they ignore identifications. They have sold many fakes as genuine.

Who is Roland Arkell?

No, problem Frank. Even though the article was somewhat ill-informed, I still thought you might want a copy for your records.

The piece that interested me the most was on page 34, which prompted my comments about Studio Glass. Obviously that resulted in some contentious remarks in the Studio Glass thread, which I really must address when I have the time (I hope I don't upset too many people).

The piece on pg 34 really is fantastic though......WOW! :D

As for Arkell, I would suggest that he is probably just another freelance antiques journalist. I’ve spoken with other similar journalists in the field and they never do any real research or check their facts.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 06:47:38 AM »
I heartily concur with the last remark, you wouldn't believe the basic errors in some of the stuff that comes through my hands. There are a lot of cowboy journalists out there

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 09:15:30 AM »
:D :D :D

Frank - I just had a peek at the page you showed here, where there is some IoWSG, because of the confusion that can arise from the pontil marks (flame v. salmon) and I see you have an Aurene vase in a shape you say is unusual - it isn't an unusual shape at all - this is the most common shape for an Aurene piece, as far as  my experience goes. However, the plate  :shock: is very unusual.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David Hier

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 09:42:51 AM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
I heartily concur with the last remark, you wouldn't believe the basic errors in some of the stuff that comes through my hands. There are a lot of cowboy journalists out there

I know this is off-topic and probably deserves it's own thread (why are antiques journalists so ignorant? :lol: ), but yes, the level of research I have seen is laughable.

Obviously I can't generalise, but I have been telephoned many times by journalists, writing articles for major publications, and they always seem to be looking for an easy angle for any article they write. I have often explained to such journalists that they need to do some research and interview certain people, only to be told that they don't have time for that (shakes head vigorously).

The other thing that happens, is that I get calls from magazines telling me that they are doing an article on glass and ask whether or not I would like to advertise with them. I ask what type of article and the response (for the last 10 years) is normally 'Bristol Blue' or 'Cranberry'. No disrespect to collectors of this glass, but I've heard enough about it; can't we read about something else?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »
Hi Sue,

Info came from IOW themselves and it says "Non standard shape", not unusual.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »
:D :D :D

Hi Frank - looking at the 4 of these I have, the shape of each varies slightly - so I suppose this could mean there are no absolute dimensions - some are taller, some are rounder, some have the blue at the bottom, some have it at the top.

edited to add: Some also have stoppers, with brown/cream swirls in the knob.

Do you think they could have meant that the shape, though standard, was not standardised?
Your quote from IoWSG does say "not unusual" though. :twisted:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »
Oops, edited, should have quoted in full:

Isle of Wight Glass with seal. Non standard shape in colouring from the Aurene Range produced between 1973 and 1981.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand