No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands  (Read 26913 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »
Fascinating, well-illustrated article about Blackwood & Co. at
http://www.thepalimpsest.co.uk/2014/11/ink-day-blackwood-co-ink-wherein-scant.html
which shows, among others, a patented ink bottle looking remarkably similiar to their RD 91764.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
thanks for that Fred - very interesting.         Surprising perhaps that in view of the amount of information the link contains, that the author's research overlooked The National Archive Registration records  -  from whence of course our details are derived.           Would agree with you re your comments about Rd. 91764.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
Paul's first post, last image, rang a bell so had a rummage and found these out, the one on the right says 'Free Sample' the two on the left have 'HW' and 'H' on the base.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Thank you for showing the 4 latest 'inky' design representations, Paul. I will add them to the GMB RD database (with a link to this GMB topic) shortly.

I'm still not sure who actually manufactured the glassware for Blackwood & Co.

Have checked for info. about John Walsh Walsh's RD 90767 in Eric Reynolds' "The Glass of John Walsh Walsh 1850-1951" to no avail, although the design representation for JWW's RD 99882  ink stand of 18 April 1855 is shown alongside a photo of an actual example of the design on page 8.

The design representations for JWW's RD 90767 and 99882 are both shown on page 278 of Mervyn Gulliver's "Victorian Decorative Glass".

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:42 PM »
thanks Fred  -  If you wanted to point to a reliable author I think Mr. Gulliver might take first prize - he does appear to have done much research and his book seems to be very accurate  - I remember Bernard eulogizing frequently.
Eric Reynolds also appears to have done his research for the id of Rd. 99882, since it appears he didn't have the domed cover (which is shown in TNA drawing on the same page) when producing the photo for his book, although as he says his piece does carry a diamond lozenge  ...............   and possibly unique the way he captions his picture with the lozenge data of 18 H E..........   which would probably confuse anyone not familiar with such details.                    For those people who don't have Reynolds book, I will show TNA drawing of Rd. 99882, probably in the next batch of ink wells.
However, unfortunate that Reynolds appears to have been unaware of the other early Walsh Rd. 90767 from 12th April 1853, since Ray Slack's book - which does include Rd. 90767 in the numerical list - was published some twelve years before the publication of Eric Reynolds book  -  but I agree that this earlier Rd. from Walsh doesn't seem to be in Reynolds book.
It's possible that since most of these items were 'utility pieces' and probably had a hard life, then most have long since gone to the rubbish tip.

Keith  -  thanks for showing your ink wells  -  these 'bottle green' sort of cheap pieces were probably produced in profusion  -  very few of them I'd imagine were ever protected with a Board of Trade Registration and I've seen many such pieces at boot sales over the years.       Stoppers were almost certainly just a piece of cork, and I'd suggest that the first two with sharp and irregular top rims are possibly the oldest.    Will need to look on that 'bottle' site that we occasionally link on the Board, to see if we can provide an idea of date, but at the moment regret unable to suggest what the upper case letters might indicate.

P.S.   sorry, can't seem to add the web link, but name is ...  Historic Glass Bottle Identification & Information Website  -  there is a section on ink wells. [Mod: See separate reply below for url of the website and the section on inkwells.]

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:39 PM »
Thanks Paul, only really added them out of interest might give the site a look one of the days, cheers  ;D ;D

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:40 PM »
But it must be remembered that other inkstands had ink bottles wherein the stand itself was not glass but the ink bottle is. I have a lovely example in stirling silver (heirloom of my mother's family) with the most exquisite glass bulb for the ink. I'll post pictures later today. I live in fear of the glass breaking as I have no idea how I would get another copy made.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »
quote from Carolyn  ...........  "I have a lovely example in stirling silver  ........."  gosh - that sounds unique Carolyn, and should be mine I guess  ;D ;D

Really look forward to seeing your pix  -  presumably the glass part is not a Registered Design.          It has really only been my intention to show those inventions that we know to have been Registered British Designs  -  otherwise we might be here all night ;)
Thanks for joining in with this thread.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
Re. William Blamire Tate ink holder, RD 95155, registered 22 February 1854.

Shown in the 1871 census as 'Ink Maker', aged 59, living with his family in Islington, London.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
thanks for all your additional information Fred and m  -  really does add so much more of interest and brings these things alive.         It's good that some folk take the time to publish these mini biographies etc.

Don't want to overwork Fred, so after the four more items attached to this note, I'll pause for a few days, but hope these latest items of interest....
the Walsh Rd. we've already spoken about  -  the others are completely new I think, although always possible someone has actually posted before -  and apologies the quality of images not always as good as I'd like.

I like the reference to 'crinoline' in the Benton & Stone description, and unusual to have a 'proprietor' from Dublin for the Frederic (yes, it's the correct spelling) Lewis design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand