No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands  (Read 26920 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »
thanks Anne :)

Fred  -  I also looked at the portrait and wondered if there had been an intention to represent Prince Albert, although probably never know now.
As always, very much appreciate your interesting contributions in the way of company histories and information.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
Two more Registrations from Eliezer Edwards of B'ham, and one from W. B. Tate of London.            I've made the assumption that 197154 is an ink related item  -  it may not be of course - but couldn't really come up with a likely alternative purpose, so if people think I'm wrong in suggesting this is an ink well or stand then please shout.
Goes without saying that I have looked at Register BT 44/7 - which details Registrants names and addresses and some of the time provides a description of the item - but on this occasion the Register is silent on the intended use of Rd. 197154.             Neither can I see any words on the original factory drawing - hope I haven't missed anything.

Just had a thought  -  perhaps it's an ashtray ?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
Thank you, Paul, for posting this latest batch of RDs.

I will add them to the GMB RD database this evening.

As for RD 197154, I'm afraid that TNA online summary too fails to give a description of the item.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
thanks Fred  ....               bearing in mind our new found knowledge regarding the sort of items that Messrs. Eliezer Edwards are known for having made, and combining this with the shape of 197154, then I think this adds weight to my thoughts that this also stands a good chance of being an ink related design.
I suppose though that it will always remain officially unconfirmed. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2017, 12:42:39 AM »
The only thing I think it could be in that shape, if not an ink well, might be a candle holder? (Sealing wax and all that!)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
there is some way to go yet to complete the examples I have, so to prevent the moss from growing under our feet, here a few more for the archives  ;)

Two new companies amongst these I believe.             There is a comment on the drawing for Registration 215150 which reads  -  'There is no utility resulting from the shape of this design' - and don't think I really understand what is meant by this.      Something perhaps to do with a suggestion that the image is lacks proper 3D ??  -  am sure someone else will know the real meaning.

Obviously some of these designs aren't intended solely to contain ink, but I've worked along the lines that if the word 'ink' occurs, then I've made a point of including the item.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »
Thank you for showing theses latest design representations, Paul.

Some snippets re. beehive ink bottle RD 199959,  registered on 15 August 1866 - Parcel 8 by Joseph Perkins Teagle & Edward Martin (proprietor) of 3 John Street, Cornwall Road, Lambeth, London. Class 3: glass.

From a seach of the online registration summaries at TNA, this appears to be their sole design registration.

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk/forum/Topic374008.aspx
The design was registered on August 15th 1866 by Joseph Teagle & Edwin Martin who were bottle manufacturers in London. They were declared bankrupts in 1868, so these inks can be dated quite accurately. Here's the announcement in The London Gazette :

"Joseph Perkins Teagle and Edwin Martin, formerly of No.3, John Street, Commercial Road, Lambeth, in the County of Surrey, Glass Bottle Manufacturers, and afterwards of the same place and of the Eclipse Glass Works, Artillery Street, Bermondsey, in the County of Surrey, Glass Bottle Manufacturers, and now of the Eclipse Glass Works, Artillery Street, Bermondsey aforesaid, Glass Bottle Manufacturers and Co-partners in Trade, having been adjudged bankrupts under a Petition for adjudication of Bankruptcy, filed in Her Majesty's Court of Bankruptcy in London, on the 21st day of May, 1868."

In the same link, the informant shows three pictures of  two transparent glass "side lying diamond registration barrel inks" (one in clear glass and one in pale blue glass) mbossed with a diamond registry date mark and supposedly from Teagle & Martin's RD 199959 but, to me, they have little resemblance to the 'beehive' design shown on the design representation. The details on the registry date marks are difficult to read , but they should read Q - 15 - 8 - R if correctly identified.

John Street was, apparently, renamed Johnson Street (postcode E1 0AQ), and has now been completely redeveloped.

Artillery Street, Bermondsey, is now Artillery Lane (postcode E1 7LS), which runs between Spitalfields and Bishopsgate. Although some redevelopment has taken place, there are still some fine examples of 18th and 19th century premises there.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol27/pp226-236

There is record of a marriage of Joseph Perkins Teagle to Amelia Martin on 14 April 1861 at Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London.  Was Amelia Martin related to Teagle's co-proprietor Edward Martin?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
thanks for bringing these pieces of history to life Fred  -  your additions with details of company information always appreciated.

four more items are now attached.

One...................  216632 - Molineaux Webb .........   As you'd expect, Neil has already investigated this one, although no image is included on his Molineaux Webb pressed glass site.            He comments that this Registration consists of two pieces and has a pressed star pattern - I think Neil is almost certainly correct regarding his suggestion that a stopper forms part of this design.     

Two...................  242642  -  Registered in the name of James Hickisson, although as you can see on the drawing it's described as "Bond's Ornamental Design for Crystal Palace Writing Ink Bottle" - perhaps Bond were big time ink well designers.          Although there's no mention of Hickisson on the drawing, I've checked the Register and Hickisson is shown as the Registrant.       
James Bond  (as you'll see on the next item) did in fact Registered designs in their own name - well, at least one design - so quite what the tie up with Hickisson was I don't presently know.               Why the design reference to Crystal Palace?  -  it might possibly be that the cross section profile of the design has some similarity to that of the original Crystal Palace?  -  will need to look further into that aspect.

Three .................... 243267  -  this appears to be James Bond Registering their own design - perhaps the shape was popular with clerical authorities, and just possible that the guttering below the roof was shaped appropriately in which a pen could be laid.              Whether this had a lid or stopper of any sort isn't very clear from the drawing.

Four ............. 288863 - I've no knowledge of John Short Downing of B'ham - they may well be makers in view of their location  -  the other three companies I'm sure were all London based.

Regret to say that I forgot to check before typing the above whether or not we already have any of these items on the Board's archive.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »
Thank you for this latest batch of design representations, Paul - the James Bond ' church' looks particularly interesting.

Snippets re. ink bottle RD 215150, registered by Edward Jackson Hollidge, Symond's Inn, Chancery Lane London, on 21 December 1867 - Parcel 6. Class 3; glass.

From a seach of the online registration summaries at TNA, this appears to be  his sole design registration (though there are certainly glass ink bottles, presumably unregistered designs,  bearing his name (see later).

Symond's Inn was one of the original 13 Inns of Court ( Lincoln's Inn; Temple; Gray's Inn; Furnival's Inn; Staple Inn; Sergeant's Inn; Clifford's Inn; Clement's Inn; New Inn; Lyon's Inn; Symond's Inn Barnard's Inn; Thavies Inn), a sizable number of buildings or precincts where barristers traditionally lodged, trained and carried on their profession.

Mr Vholes in Dickens' Bleak House has chambers in Symond’s Inn:
The name of Mr. Vholes, preceded by the legend Ground-Floor, is inscribed upon a door-post in Symond's Inn, Chancery Lane--a little, pale, wall-eyed, woebegone inn like a large dust-binn of two compartments and a sifter. It looks as if Symond were a sparing man in his way and constructed his inn of old building materials which took kindly to the dry rot and to dirt and all things decaying and dismal, and perpetuated Symond's memory with congenial shabbiness. Quartered in this dingy hatchment commemorative of Symond are the legal bearings of Mr. Vholes.

http://www.victorianlondon.org/publications5/prisons-04.htm
The Inns of Court are themselves sufficiently peculiar to give a strong distinctive mark to the locality in which they exist; for here are seen broad open squares like huge court-yards, paved and treeless, and flanked with grubby mansions - as big and cheerless-looking as barracks - every one of them being destitute of doors, and having a string of names painted in stripes upon the door-posts, that reminds one of the lists displayed at an estate-agent's office and there is generally a chapel-like edifice called the "hall," that is devoted to feeding rather than praying, and where the lawyerlings "qualify" for the bar by eating so many dinners, and become at length - gastronomically - learned in the law. Then how peculiar are the tidy legal gardens attached to the principal Inns, with their close-shaven grass-plots looking as sleek and bright as so much green plush, and the clean-swept gravel walks thronged with children, and nursemaids, and law-students. How odd, too, are the desolate-looking legal alleys or courts adjoining these Inns, with nothing but a pump or a cane-bearing street-keeper to be seen in the midst of them, and occasionally at one corner, beside a crypt-like passage, a stray dark and dingy barber's shop, with its seedy display of powdered horsehair wigs of the same dirty-white hue as London snow. Who, moreover, has not noted the windows of the legal fruiterers and law stationers hereabouts, stuck over with small announcements of clerkships wanted, each penned, in the well-known formidable straight-up-and-down three-and-fourpenny hand, and beginning-with a "This-Indenture"-like flourish of German text - "The Writer Hereof" &c. Who, too, while threading his way through the monastic- like byways of such places, has not been startled to find himself suddenly light upon a small enclosure, comprising a tree or two, and a little circular pool, hardly bigger than a lawyer's inkstand, with a so-called fountain in the centre, squirting up the water in one long thick thread, as if it were the nozzle of a fire-engine.

[Over the centuries the number of active Inns of Court was reduced to the present four: Lincoln's Inn; Inner Temple; Middle Temple; Gray's Inn].

It would appear, therefore that the registrant for RD 215150 was probably working in some capacity in the legal profession, although whether he was acting on his own behalf or for a client is not clear.

Edward Jackson Hollidge was a Yorkshireman, born 1831 (christened 8 November 1831, Holy  Trinity, Hull); his father is Edward Hollidge (b. 16 March 1807, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire), and his mother's name is Ann. He died in the third quarter of 1891 in Hackney.

In the 1851 cenus, he is a merchant's clerk (aged 19, unmarried), living in Wright Street, Sculcoates, Yorkshire, with his father, Edward (head of household, aged 44, b. Chesham, Hertfordshire), Mary Elizabeth Masterman (Edward Snrs. daughter-in-law, aged 28) and 2 servants.

Edward Jackson Hollidge married Elizabeth Pinder on 18 May 1853 in Holy Trinty, Hull. Father of the groom - Edward Hollidge; father of the bride - Charles Pinder

Children: James Edward (M., chr. 3 April 1854, Holy Trinity, Hull); Charles (M., Chr. 18 August 1855, Holy Trinity, Hull); John (M., Chr. 29 October 1856, Holy Trinity, Hull); William (M., chr. 2 October 1857, Holy Trinity, Hull); Frederick (M., Chr. 28 April 1858, Holy Trinity, Hull); Mary Elizabeth (F., chr. 11 June 1861, St. Luke, Hull); Alice Maud (F., Chr. 30 June 1862, Hull); Arthur (M., b. about 1866 in Wakefield, Yorkshire).

In the 1871 census, he is aged 39, living in Hammersmith, London, with his wife, Elizabeth (aged 37, born in Horner?, Lincolnshire), and his son, James Edward (aged 17). Occupation - ink maker.

In the 1881 census, he is living in Canonbury Grove, Islington (head of household, aged 49), with his wife Elizabeth ( aged 47, described as being born in Horncastle, Lincolnshire) his sons, Edward, Frederick, and Arthur (Arthur aged 15, b. in Wakefield, Yorks.), and his father, Edward (aged 74, b. Cheshunt, Hertfordshire). Edward Jackson Hollidge is described as a 'silk manufacturer, employing 6 hands') - perhaps this is a mistranscription of 'ink manufacturer' ?. Quite a smart address.

In the 1891 census, (aged 59, b. Yorkshire). he was living at 34 Devonshire Road,  Hackney, with his wife, Elizabeth, (aged 57, b. Lincolnshire), his son, Arthur (aged 25, b. Yorkshire), and his father, Edward (84, b. Hertfordshire). He is described as an 'ink manufacturer'. Another smart address by the looks of the Victorian houses still surviving.

There is a death record for Edward Jackson Hollidge (aged 60) of Hackney in the 3rd quarter of 1891, and for Elizabeth Hollidge (aged 65) of Hackney in the first quarter of 1898.

Glass pen rest ink bottle marked 'Hollinge, London' on the shoulder at
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/inkwell-pen-rest-hollidge-ink-bottle-105189804
quite similar to Hollidge's RD 215150 bottle. I gather that this shape is also known as a 'rectangular cabin' or 'boat'  ink

E.J. Hollidge Ltd  'Eureka Bright Blue Ink' branded stoneware ink bottle at
https://www.ebth.com/items/112501-eureka-vintage-inkwell

There is a Hollidge stoneware 'penny ink' bottle on the  bottom middle row of the section at
http://www.antiquebottles.co.za/pages/categories/Ink.htm

Stoneware ink bottle, including one with a label for
‘HOLLIDGE’S WRITTING FLUID // MANUFACTURED BY E.J. HOLLIDGE LTD // KING HENRY’S WALK, LONDON // ESTABLISHED 1861 (or 1851?)’ at
http://www.khwgarden.org.uk/about-the-garden/history/
King Henry's Walk, London is at postcode NI 4NX, and is less than a mile from Edward Jackson Hollidge's Canonbury Grove address (postcode N1 2HR) residential address of 1881.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Snippets re. 'clerical inkstand' RD 243267, registered by James Bond, proprietor, Works, 75 Southgate Road, London, on July 18 1870 - Parcel 4. Class 3: glass.

Oddly, the registrant's name details seem to have been erased from the design representation for some reason (I think the reason possibly being that 'Bond's' may have been acquired by James Hickisson - see below).

Notice dated May 26, 1852, from 'The Globe and Traveller':
CAUTION.—TO TRADESMEN,
MERCHANTS, SHIPPERS OUTFITTERS, &c.
Whereas; it has lately come to my knowledge that some unprincipled person or persons have for some time past been imposing upon the public by selling to the Trade and others a spurious article under the name of BOND'S PERMANENT MARKING INK: This is to give notice, that I am the Original and Sole Proprietor and Manufacturer of the said article, and do not employ any traveller, or authorise any person to represent themselves as coming from my Establishment for the purpose of selling the said Ink, This Caution is published by me to prevent further imposition upon the public, and serious injury to myself.
E. R. BOND, Sole Executrix and Widow of the late John Bond, 28, Long lane, West Smithfield, London.
See:
http://www.londonancestor.com/globe/adv-caution.htm

From the 'Great Britain Royal Commission for the Chicago Exhibition 1893 - British Section':
Bond, John (now J. Hickisson), 75 Southgate Road, London, N. Crystal Palace. John Bond's marking ink and appliances for marking linen, cotton, and other textiles, writing and copying inks of every description, rubber stamps and stencil plates, cement for mending china and glass, patent disinfecting pen, patent disinfecting inks.

A magazine advert published in 1896 for 'John Bond's Daughter's Rubber Stamps. Crystal Palace, John Bond's Daughter's Gold Medal Marking Ink Works'. See:
http://www.sensationpress.com/victorianrubberstamps.htm

From the British Journal of Nursing, August 30, 1913:
John Bond's " Crystal Palace " Marking Ink is a household word for excellence, and we there- fore assume this to be taken for granted, and direct our readers' attentcon fortliwitli to the cendy-introduced " John Bond's ' Crystal Palace ' Marking Ink Cabinet." This comprises a red leatherette hinged box, a square bottle of non- heat marking ink, a new perfected metallic marking pen and holder, and a linen stretcher- also a voucher entitling purchasers to their name or monogram. rubber stamp, with pad and brush, for 7:Id. The marking of linen, desirable in the case of private individuals, is essential in public institutions, to minimise mistakes, theft and loss. Private nurses also who are constantly moving from one case to another realise the necessity of having their linen legibly marked if they are not to lose many small articles in the wash. To them this compact and convenient little cabinet will be a veritable boon, and we unhesitatingly recommend it. The ink can be obtained in bottles for 6d. or IS., from all chemists, stationers, or stores, or direct on receipt of stamps from the manufactory, 75, Southgate Road, London, N. Bond's Marking Ink has now been on the market for a century, and during this period the proprietors have been honoured with Royal appoint ments, Government contracts, and gold medals from all parts of the world.

See:
http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME051-1913/page178-volume51-30thaugust1913.pdf

1929 advert for John Bond's marking ink
http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME077-1929/page309-volume77-november1929.pdf

A selection of adverts for Bond's Marking Ink from between 1859 and 1936 shown at:
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Bond

John Bond Crystal Palace Pen nib:
http://www.thepalimpsest.co.uk/2013/08/john-bond-crystal-palace-pen-nib.html

Explanation of Bond's use of the 'Crystal Palace' brand name, from:
http://www.studygroup.org.uk/Articles/Content/91/James%20Bond.htm

The Name is Bond, John Bond, Licensed to Quill.
by
Fred Peskett
The firework company C.T. Brock was well known in adopting the name “Crystal Palace” and the image of the building as their trade mark for many years. However, there was another company using both the name and image of the Crystal Palace, John Bond who manufactured Marking Inks to identify laundry. These were made from the early 1800’s right through to the 1950’s when it was the custom to mark linens with a name or some other identification prior to sending to the laundry or bag-wash. When John Bond, who had a factory in North London’s Balls Pond Road area first started using the “Crystal Palace” and image of the building as a trade mark is uncertain, the establishment of the firm was in 1806, and it has been suggested that they exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and later supplied their Marking Kits to the Crystal Palace Company from 1854, hence using the Palace connection as a trade mark was given as a favour.
The Marking Kits in the early 1800’s comprised a small bottle of permanent marking ink, a short quill pen, and a linen stretcher or writing tablet made in two wooden parts. A central disc with tapered sides and a matching annulus with the internal tapered diameter a little larger than that of the disc. The method was to place the piece of linen to be marked over the disc and press the annulus over the cloth and disc, thus providing a taut surface to write upon. From about 1890 to the 1950's the guill pen was replaced by a conventional steel nib pen.
The 1860's design of the Linen Stretcher/Writing Tablet was 2 5/8" diameter by 5/8" thick, the annulus is 2 7/8" diameter by 3/8" thick, a blue label covers the tablet and is marked “CRYSTAL PALACE” BOND’S CABINET. LINEN STRETCHER. 1/6. This design was changed in the early 1900’s to a 2 1/4" diameter by 1/2" thick disc with the annulus 2 3/8" diameter by 3/8" thick, now with printed labels in red, which range from light red to orange red, and from deep red to scarlet, all are now marked, JOHN BOND’S “CRYSTAL PALACE” WRITING TABLET, and have a view of the Palace and Terraces. There is a minor difference on some whereby the quotation marks of “CRYSTAL PALACE” are sometimes reversed.
These tablets were given free with the 1/- kit. There is also a “Presentation Linen Stretcher” which comes in two sizes of disc, 1 7/8" and 2 1/8" diameter with orange-red or deep red labels. The larger size has a view of the Crystal Palace without the Terrace in front. These were also given free with the enlarged 1/- kit. Finally the Linen Stretchers from the 1950's are made of tin-plate, 1 3/8" diameter by 3/8" thick with a metal circlip instead of the annulus and no longer having the “CRYSTAL PALACE” words or view.
The “Kit” and ink bottle packaging boxes also reflect the Crystal Palace trade mark and did so right up to early 1950’s. The John Bond “Crystal Palace” Marking Ink products make an unusual and cheap theme to collect in respect of Palace memorabilia, there are probably more variations yet to be found. There was of course another Bond associated with writing, Basildon Bond, however, he was a man of “Letters”.

It appears that, some time between 1859 and 23 June 1870, the 'John Bond' brand was acquired by J[ames] Hickisson and run by him as a proprietor from 75 Southgate Road, Islington, London, and because 'John Bond' and Hickisson are so intertwined I  will give more details about James Hickisson in a subsequent post.

75-84 Southgate Road still exists as a substantial block of large Victorian houses (some now converted) - postcode  N1 3JS.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand