No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands  (Read 26893 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »
Snippets re. ' Bond's... Crystal Palace writing ink bottle' RD 242642, , registered by James Hickisson, proprietor, of 75 Southgate Road,  London on 23 June 1870 - Parcel 2. Class 3: glass. 

From my previous post, it is obvious that James Hickisson has the same design registration address as James Bond, and that Hickisson seems to have become the proprietor of John Bond / Bond of 75 Southgate Road, London, before 23 June 1870 (and retains the Bond company name).

The use of the Crystal Palace brand name by Bond is dealt with in my previous post.

In the London Gazette of 18 December 1877, Mrs. M.A. Hickisson, 75-84 Southgate Road, was exhibiting marking ink. She is presumably James Hickisson's wife.

75-84 Southgate Road still exists as a substantial block of large Victorian houses (some now converted) - postcode  N1 3JS.

1891 census: James Hickisson, ink maker, living at  Essex Road, Islington. Head of household (aged 64, b.about 1827 in London), married.

Roll of electors 1891 and 1892 -  James Hickisson living at 75 Southgate Road (dwelling house).

I can't find any death record or will details for James Hickisson so far.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
quote   .............    "The Name is Bond, John Bond, Licensed to Quill." ....        don't you just love it   ..... stunning punning..             
Marvellous stuff and very many thanks as always Fred for the time you put into these things  -  I will read and digest a little later.

Needless to say I have more, but will give you a break for a few days. :)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Stunning being the operative word there!  ;D

Carolyn

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Snippets re. glass inkstand RD 288863, registered by John Short Downing, Crown Works, 104 Irving Street, Birmingham, on 29 January 1875 - Parcel 2. Class 3: Glass.

According to TNA online summary of design registrations, John Short Downing also registered:

RD 282577 on 26 May 1874 - ornamental design for glass inkstand; Class 1: metal !!
RD 284581 on 25 August 1874 - Class 3: glass, but no description of item
RD 289799 on 8 March 1875 - inkstand
RD 290101 on 30 March 1875 - glass pen and tray
RD 290192 on 30 March 1875 - [glass] inkstand
RD 301266 on 15 June 1876 - [glass] inkstand; Crown Works address given as Commercial Road, Birmingham
RD 379826 on 24 April 1882 - [glass] pen tray; Commercial Road, Birmingham again.

It is thought that Irving Street was named after Washington Irving, the American author of `Rip Van Winkle', who had connections with Birmingham.

Irving Street (postcode now B1 1DH)  seems, until at least the early 20th century, to have run parallel to Holloway Head (now part of the B4127) for a long distance but now there's only a small part of the street left (even that completely redeveloped) , running from Bristol Street at the side of the Catholic Church.

John Short Downing, b. 1st qtr. 1846, Birmingham.

1851 census, at Hill Street, Birmingham: John Downing (5, b. 1846, Birmingham, scholar), is living with his father, Joseph (31, head of household), his mother, Caroline (31, b. Kidderminster), his sister, Rebecca (3), and his paternal aunt, Rose Bodgers (21, b. Bewdley).

1871 census, John Short Downing, MANUFACTURER, (aged 25, b. 1846)  is living in Edgbaston with his father, Joseph (aged 51), his mother, Caroline (aged 51), and his siblings, Mary H. (18), Sarah M. (16), Emily Caroline (13), Joseph H. (11), and William.

Marriage record for John Short Downing to Ellen Setten, 1st qtr 1871,  at St. Thomas, Devon.

1881 census, at Pershore Road, Edgbaston: John Short Downing, BRASS FOUNDER (EMPLOYING 100) , John Shorter Downing (35, head of household)), with his wife, Ellen (35, b. Exmouth, Devon)), his 5 children - John H. (7), Alice (5), Caroline(3), Ernest S. (2), and Marie (0) [all born in Birmingham] - his brother-in-law, Robert Setten (33, b. Exmouth, Devon), plus 2 female servants.

1891 census, at Raddle Barn Lane, Northfield, Kings Norton: John Short Downing, MANUFACTURER OF STATIONERY SUNDRIES, (45, head of household), with his wife, Ellen (45, born Devonshire), his 3 children - John H. (17), Ernest L. (12), and Marie (10), plus 3 servants (2 female + 1 male).

1901 census (31 March), at Sir Harry's Road, Edgbaston: John Short Downing, STATIONERS SUNDRIES MANUFTR. ,(55, head), with his wife Ellen (55, b. Exmouth), with 4 children - Alice (25), Caroline (23), Ernest S.? (22), and Marie (20) - plus 3 female servants.

I've not been able to find any information about the Crown Works at either Irving Street or Commercial Street so far.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2017, 04:09:34 PM »
just to comment briefly on Fred's notes yesterday regarding the following.....................

""RD 282577 on 26 May 1874 - ornamental design for glass inkstand; Class 1: metal !!
   RD 284581 on 25 August 1874 - Class 3: glass, but no description of item
   RD 289799 on 8 March 1875 - inkstand
   RD 290101 on 30 March 1875 - glass pen and tray
   RD 290192 on 30 March 1875 - [glass] inkstand
   RD 301266 on 15 June 1876 - [glass] inkstand; Crown Works address given as Commercial Road, Birmingham
   RD 379826 on 24 April 1882 - [glass] pen tray; Commercial Road, Birmingham again."

Would appear from my records that I'm missing Regs. 282577 and 284581  -  so will need to visit Kew for these - hopefully some time quite soon.          I've looked at the Register, but this lacks any description for 284581, so may well turn out not to be ink related.
However, I do have pix of the subsequent five Regs. and will add these in the coming day or two as I reach these higher numbers.

I think Fred that your 290101 should read 290101 - at least the Kew picture does show a pen tray under this Rd. Nol., although not the pen itself, despite the comments in the Register of "glass pen and tray".        I haven't been aware of seeing any Registered designs for pens - at least not prior to c. 1900.           
Although technically a fountain pen of sorts was invented by Waterman, I think, some time in the early 1880s, most pens prior to WW I were eye droppers and dip pens, and quality was a bit hit and miss and a variety of methods of filling, and nib fitments, were tried before arriving at the designs we now know which were reliable.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »
Just to confirm that 'my' RD 290101 of 30 March 1875 should read RD 290191 of 30 March 1875 (glass pen and tray).

TNA reference BT 43/62/290191.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
thanks Fred.              When I started clicking my shutter at Kew some several years back, and in my keenness to photograph those items that I thought would be of interest to collectors and folk on the GMB, I obviously used too much discretion and omitted anything that didn't meet with my approval  .............  hence the few items that I now don't have in my own records.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »
and no - they haven't finished yet ;)

Couple more for John Short Downing, so your recent notes Fred will adequate for these further Regs. of theirs.                  Reg. 300519 for Charles Harris of B'ham can be found correctly in Jenny Thompson as her records are simply photos of the Kew archive Representation pages - poor and faint quality at times with some of the text unreadable as those folk who have Thompson's book will know, but nothing missing in the sequence sense.             
However, understandably in view of the poor legibility of this particular No. in the original Board of Trade Register (the volume that contains names and addresses etc. of all Registrants from the 'lozenge' period), Ray slack has mis-read the No. as 300619, and it appears as such in his book.       This would suggest that he appears to have used the Register only from which to extract his 'list', and possibly not looked at the design images in the Representations book.            I could be wrong  -  hope I'm not maligning you Ray. :)

I'm not entirely sure how the design for 300519 is intended to function  -  it appears there might be a lid, but not sure  -  and which part is supposed to be the pen rack is unclear.
Occurs to me that this outline shape is similar Eliezer Edwards Reg. 197154 which I listed some days back, which was also circular and the suggestion was made then of a possible candle holder - since there was nothing in either the Register of Representations book to say what its use might have been.        Since we know that the round 'lemon squeezer' shape of 300519 is an inky item, might this lend support to my thoughts that 197154 was also intended for the same purpose?? :)   

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
Thank you posting this latest batch of design representations, Paul.

I will try and add the John Short Downing RDs to the GMB RD database tomorrow, then try and research the other two over the weekend.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »
Snippets re. ink bottle RD 247945, registered by Henry Thacker and Company, New Street Square, London, on 22 November 1870 - Parcel 4; Class 3: glass.

New Street Square is on New Fetter Lane between Fleet Street and High Holborn in central London (postcode EC4 3LX), now completely redeveloped.

Photos below of a Thacker's Ink bottle bearing the registry date lozenge for 22 November 1870 - Parcel 4 (RD 247945), complete with original label, cork stopper, and dried remains of the original ink contents. (Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by kadok14). The bottle itself seems to be of clear glass, and I believe the type of bottle is often described as a 'tent' bottle.

Also photo of an empty very pale blue-green bottle (which the owner describes as 'aqua') which bears the registry date lozenge, and an empty cobalt example (the base simply embossed 'THACKER | LONDON). (Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by cockscomb).

There is a Thacker's Ink porcelain sign shown  at
http://www.porcelainsigns.com/image-galleries/other-signs-t-z/thackers-ink-tablets-porcelain-sign/
and photos of a lithographed Thacker's Ink Tiger Brand ink tablets tin at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Thackers-Ink-Tablets-Ad-Tiger-Brand-Litho-Tin-Box/361842392345
It bears the instructions: "Important - Clean the ink pot thoroughly before use. Do not mix with any other ink. | Dissolve the tablet in an inkpot of water. About 144 tablets. | | Does not scratch the paper. Does not corrode the pen. Very smooth in writing. Very easily soluble. About 144 tablets."

1841 census: at John's Row, St Luke, Middlesex - Henry Thacker (5, b. Middlesex)), living with his mother, Jane Thacker (30-34, head of household), and his siblings - Hannah (11), Thomas (10), Robert (4) and Emma (2).

1851 census; at John's Row, St Luke, Middlesex -Henry Thacker, junior clerk bookseller (15), still living with his mother (born Bromley, Kent)  + 3 siblings, - Hannah(b. Bloomsbury), Thomas, and Emma.

1861 census: at Hemingford Road, Heminford Place, Islington - Henry Thacker (25, b. St Luke, Middlesex, about 1836, bookseller, unmarried) living with his mother, Jane (head of household, 54, b. Kent) and sister, Emma (22, b. St Luke, Middlesex).

1871 census: at New Barnet, Chipping Barnet, Middlesex - Henry Thacker, INK MANUFACTURER (34, head of household), living with his wife, Margaret A. Thacker (20, b. Corsham, Wiltshire) and his daughter, Fanny M. Thacker (0, b. Barnet, Hertfordshire).

Charles Henry Thacker, son of Henry Thacker and Margaret Anne Thacker, christened 5 November 1874, in the Parish of Holy Trinty, Lyonsdown, Hertfordshire.

Lilian Thyra Thacker, daughter of Henry Thacker and Margaret Anne Thacker, christened 5 November 1874, in the Parish of Holy Trinty, Lyonsdown, Hertfordshire.

1881 census: at Leicester Road, Chipping Barnet (Herts.), Middlesex - Henry Thacker, INK MANUFACTURER, (45, head of household, b. St Luke, Middlesex), living with his wife, Margaret A. Thacker (38, b. Corsham, Wiltshire), his 4 children - Fanny M. (10), Lilian T. ,8, Charles H., (7), and Hilda K. (1) - all born in New Barnet, Hertfordshire, plus 1 female servant.

1891 census: at Ferme Park Road, Hornsey, Middlesex - Henry Thacker, INK MANUFACTURER (55, head of household), living with his wife, Margaret A. Thacker - and his 3 children - Fanny M. (20), Lilian T., (18), and Charles H. (17).

1901 census: at Ferme Park Road, Hornsey, Middlesex - Henry Thacker, WHOLESALE STATIONER, (62, head of household), living with his wife, Margaret A. Thatcher (50), his son, Charles H Thacker (27), plus 3 male boarders.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand