No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature wavy rim vase - Whitefriars ? ID help please  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
Re: Miniature wavy rim vase - Whitefriars ? ID help please
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »

Hi,
Its been called a :- vase(me), bowl(you), posy vase(me) and salt(m)--so take your pick.

I think it's too small to be a posy vase, so I'm going to stick with the 'salt'.

Because salt is hygroscopic its design ( bulbous ) may have been intended to slow down the absorption of moisture - at any rate its a possibility.  :)

Scott

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Paul, you're right, I don't have evidence it's a salt.

But they are so small that, with a small silver salt spoon, they would be perfect and they match (more or less) the size for salts from numerous makers. 
The shape would allow a small salt spoon to sit slanted into the bowl without danger of tipping out.  Trust me, I've spent the last I don't know how many years trying to find the perfect salt dispenser for granulated salt and rock salt and spent a small fortune ... only to find ourselves this month using a small white eggcup (my Thomas Webb salt is not for using lol) and an Old Hall icing sugar shaker c.1970 for the granulated.  Nothing else works as well.  The rock salt is going in cooking food un-ground at the moment.

However ... I was going to say that it might be a violet/posy vase, but honestly the opening at the neck is too big to support them properly, you'd need a big fat handful and then it's only 4cm tall if you see what I mean.  And then I found this painting which appears to be a jug with violets in - see, I think that small thin flower stems need something to hold them up:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-19th-C-Signed-Framed-amp-Matted-Victorian-Violet-Flower-Vase-Painting-/201507736847

So ... I'm sticking with salt at the moment :)  But no, not from a pattern design confirmation admittedly.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
well, who knows then  -  just that I seemed to remember we'd had frilly-rimmed very short bulbous shaped things here before and they'd been described as posy vases  -  aren't there such things in Gulliver, and I don't recall him speaking of salts..... but could be memory going.       As much as anything else it was the bulbous shape that somehow didn't seem right for a salt, but obviously this one could be used as a salt regardless of its original design intentions.

I've been collecting Old Hall for several years - not seriously or obsessively but just the odd piece when on my travels around the bric-a-brac and flea markets etc., plus the odd one from charity shops  -  most of which is the smooth surfaced sort, but occasionally I do find the odd hammered piece, which is more attractive.         I don't yet have a sugar shaker - perhaps they're a lot less common.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
it was £1.50 in the charity shop - works well for the salt as long as you don't tip it up too much.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Retro-brushed-stainless-steel-sugar-shaker-OLD-HALL-/401249735212?hash=item5d6c59122c:g:pLgAAOSw~gRVumVu

I LOVE Old Hall - the designs are perfect.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
thanks for the link m   ..........   Have to say I'm also a sucker for 'Picquot' Ware  -  love that satin finish to he alooooominum - I have a cupboard full of the stuff   -  but we digress too much ;D

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »

Hi, I'm really sorry for backtracking ( you must be sick to death of this "salt" ) however I have to say when looked at on its own, in different lights, I can sometimes pick out a slight hint of blue.

Of course I should have known that the colours of two objects placed next to each other interact and as a consequence can change our perception of them.
Possibly this occurs to an even greater extent if you place 'little' and 'large' side by side.
I think you possibly hinted that this effect might have been taking place.

Anyway, yes I can see a slight hint of blue - which isn't present in my WF sea green vase.

So it's probably not WF -perhaps in this case I could use ' definitely '
No forget it - I'm definitely not going to use 'definitely' again ;D

I don't know where this might take us - probably nowhere  :)
Thanks

Scott

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
Where you are so far:

Well Nigel said (my bold):
Hello,

Powell, Richardson, Webb and Stuart (and possibly Walsh Walsh and Webb Corbett) all used versions of dark green. This small bowl/vase is not Sea Green, but rather a dark green. Compare known Sea-Green by Whitefriars/Powell with this and you instantly see the difference.

I believe you will find a similar, wrythen, example by Thomas Webb within an article written by Lesley Jackson in the Glass Association Journal No5, 1997, where she uses a copy of an advert from The Pottery Gazette as an illustration.

Cheers, Nigel

- I linked to a similar shaped piece in Thomas Webb's Iris to give an example of a wrythen Thomas Webb piece
- I have a definite Thomas Webb small salt (?)with eight pulls and in a similar shape and similar dimensions and in a similar 'heft' of glass (as is the Iris).
- You have now confirmed the colour probably isn't the same green as that on your Whitefriars vase.

So at the moment it looks like it is:
probably a Thomas Webb piece
possibly a salt (?)
possibly just a pretty design bowl shaped piece (?) in miniature.
m :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand