No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: PEILL & PUTZLER Mark  (Read 4284 times)

Offline lenore

• Members
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:35:15 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Not at all familiar w/PEILL & PUTZLER. Saw the most beautiful bowl at an estate sale preview. Really a very pretty piece. Forgot my cell phone which in essence is my camera! Oh well. It was a frosted bowl with tiny randomly spaced bumps on the exterior that had been sliced off at the tip so they were shiny. Very difficult to describe. It was not marked on the base but on the outside near the rim of the bowl. It looked like two back to back P's but it looked as if it were embossed. What was neat is that no one else even noticed this mark. Could it be PEILL & PUTZLER with an embossed or molded mark?
Many thanks,
Lenore

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 05:43:03 AM »
yep that's it!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lenore

• Members
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »
Ivo,
Many, many thanks!  :lol:  Is this considered to be a quality maker that is collectible? Perhaps, I should just buy it (in a few short hours) even though I haven't a clue to its value as it really is unique and beautiful the way the tiny bumps are shaved offThanks again,
Lenore

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:50:56 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello Lenore! The piece you are describing sounds like a "Patmos" bit.

I LOVE Peill & Putzler, I reckon it's EXTREEMELY under-rated at the moment.

You've learned you can trust your judgement as far as glass is concerned, haven't you? I've certainly noticed you have "the eye"! 8)

I trust my judgement ( :roll: ), and I collect P&P. :D
(Ivo has some nice bits, too!)

This is the first piece I found. Ivo told me the technique is called Schleiergraphit.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/PP6.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
P&P were makers of very high quality tableware, lighting and crystal since around 1950 when Pützler joined Peill. Shortly after the Berlin wall fell in 1989 the old Pützler factory was returned to the original owners, and  part of the production moved there. Due to quality problems (yellowish crystal, delivery times, careless finish etc) the company went under in 1997 - even if the official reason was inability to face competition from mechanised manufacturers. It is  a textbook example how lack of quality can bring down a firm of long standing.
P&P is now reasonably well documented, you can google Horst Tuselmann who was the main designer in the 1960s.
You can also check 20th century factory glass for further reading.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:06:09 AM »
:shock: :D :shock:

That's very interesting, Ivo!

I have a lovely bowl/plate, marked "Unikat". It is slightly similar to schleiergraphit, (and also has a similarity to Bo Borgstrom's pattern that translates to "Heather"). It has a greyish-black cobwebby "body" at the base, full of gold aventurine bubbles. This is cased in the main body/stand of the bowl, the continuous flat surface is thick clear glass. I know it is not unique in the sense of there only being one of that design, as I have seen 4 others, also marked "Unikat", but is unique in that it is an individual piece, every one will be different.

The bits of shleiergraphit I have certainly do not suffer from yellowishness. They're a lovely slate-grey-blue crystal, but you've just got me checking the Unikat bowl - it is more yellow! I had assumed the slight difference I noticed was because of the bluey-grey inclusions in the shleiergraphit and the gold in the Unikat, but I just got them out together to compare in the sunlight!

Can I assume Unikat was later? :D

My main problem with P&P seems to be water staining. German water is very hard. Apart from that, there can be burst bubbles in the base inside schleiergraphit. :cry:

I also have a bowl that seems to be similar, but a bit more primitive than schleiergraphit, mostly blackish bits and a few reddish bits in the glass, like the picture on p160 of Lesley Jackson's 20th CG.

It's nice having the two similar pieces to add to the shleiergraphit.

My only real moan with it is that, unlike most other glass, it does not improve, or even work together, "en masse"!  :twisted: :? :twisted:

(Am I convincing you, Lenore? :lol: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 12:36:46 PM »
the yellow refers to crystal made at the Weisswasser (east German) plant after 1989, not to the Schleiergrafit pieces which were made in Düren (West Germany) in the 1960s.
Hard water deposits calcium, which is easy to fix with a bit of Antikal - but I think you mean permanent clouding by water acidity?
I've never seen P&P signed as "Unikat" as far as I know they only ever used the back-to-front double P - either moulded or acid stamped - and certainly not on all pieces.....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
PEILL & PUTZLER Mark
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
:D:D:D

It has the double P too. It is a really lovely piece, not yellow as such, just compred to the very blue early stuff! :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand