No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blacklight Fun Page  (Read 2661 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Blacklight Fun Page
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:51:13 AM »
I spent today taking some photos of my glass with and without blacklight, just to practice and upgrade some pictures from what I had previously done.  I thought they turned out nice enough that I decided to put together a 'fun page' for the top of the VGCI website.  

Here is the direct link:

http://www.vaselineglass.org/blacklight.html

p.s.  that first REGENCY CUT GLASS BOWL was purchased from our own Tony Hayter!  (thanks Tony!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Blacklight Fun Page
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »
Thank you Dave,  That's fantastic! :D  I wish I had the technology to do pics like that of my collection!   :shock:  :roll:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Blacklight Fun Page
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »
They're beautifual as always :mrgreen:

Offline Pat

• Members
Blacklight Fun Page
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 12:54:20 PM »
LOve it!  Thank you for doing it and letting us see it.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Blacklight Fun Page
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:25:18 AM »
Leni
here is the "technology":

1. start with one of those priority mailing boxes, seal one end, put a heavy book inside.   That makes the backdrop to put your black velvet drape over it, which then also cascades down under where the glass sits.  
2. next, take two of the big priority boxes, and put them to each side and slightly in front of the backdrop box that already has the blackvelvet draped over it.
3.   balance your 18" self-contained $20 blacklight STIK from Wally-world on those two boxes, so it is elevated above the photography area.   The STIK has a backside where the wiring goes through, and so I don't get glare, that base points toward the camera.
4. I forgot to mention....I do this on the bathroom vanity, cuz I can close the door and have it dark in the daytime.   (no window in that bathroom).
5.   Set up the tripod with the digital camera.   I shoot from about 1 - 1 1/2 ft. away, depending on the height of the object being photographed.   Closer if it is something small like a 3" posey vase.
6.   I turn on the light behind me that is over the shower and that is my only light on,other than the blacklight.   That allows the camera to actually focus if it decides it is not getting enough light to reach automatic focus. It also comes in handy to leave that light on in the instance where there is painted decoration that you want to see other than 'black' and 'green'.   Those examples are the little Peacock Posey vase and the Expresso Cup and Saucer.      Notice how the painted decorations have color to them.   The paint picks up a little of that back lighting, but the overall effect is from the UV.   I take a photo with the shower light on, and one with it off with only the UV as my light source.   Whichever one turns out best is the one I use.
The tripod and a strong UV are the most important.   You can seldom get a good shot if you are trying to hand-hold the camera.
7. A good photo editor program like PHOTOSHOP takes care of any enhancements that are needed, such as brightening, improving contrast, or tweeking the sharpness of the image if it is just a tad out of focus.  
I use a Toshiba 2.3 megapixel digital camera.  pretty average camera.  nothing special.  I have had the piece of velvet for at least 5 years, and the 18" blacklight STIK for a little longer.  I just grabbed 3 boxes out of the garage.  no special technique.  Shoot several, pick the best one.

Offline Leni

• Members
Blacklight Fun Page
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks Dave  :D   I guess what I need first is a black light bigger than the little key-ring thing I've got!    :lol:  :roll:  Everything else I reckon I could improvise!   :wink:

But thanks very much for the info - and again for the pics!   :D
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand