No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help with rock crystal cut overlay wine glass. Is this by Webb?  (Read 520 times)

Offline freeblown

• Members
Can anybody tell me if they have seen this particular flower cutting before? The workmanship is outstanding and the flower is unusual, having long pistils coming out from the center. The glass turned up in the USA but my suspicion is that this could be by one of the master engravers who worked at Webb, like William Fritsche. I can find no makers mark of any kind. Thank you for any help you can offer.

RG

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Need help with rock crystal cut overlay wine glass. Is this by Webb?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »
having turned up in the States, as you say  -  and had someone said this was an example of late C19 ABP glass - I would have accepted that without much question  -  it does fit the bill in most areas, although coloured overlay ABP Rock Crystal is far less common than clear examples.
Regret I can't help with attribution, but would certainly not rule out ABP  -  some of their cutting in Rock Crystal style was superb - although equally it may well be European.

My opinion regarding the flower is that this is a stylized passion flower of some sort  - those long pistils are characteristic of that group - but whether that helps or hinders the quest for origin I don't know.                   Presumably this is full lead glass.

Not that it really makes any difference, but might be of some limited use to provide the height, and curious to know if there is any wear at all on the underside of the foot.

I've had a quick trawl through Spillman's 'The American Cut Glass Industry', without any joy, and can't see this particular engraved design in Hajdamach's '20th Century British Glass'  .....   both books contain a fair amount of Rock Crystal examples - most in clear as you'd expect, and floral decoration was a common theme on these pieces.

Best of luck and hope someone is able to help  -  truly beautiful drinking glass - not that I'd dare us it. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline freeblown

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the help Paul. The glasses are full lead, the height is right around 5.5 inches tall. Not a lot of wear on the bottoms. They were probably only used for special occasions. Family history has it that they were purchased at Tiffany's in the early 20th century.

RG

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:15:27 AM »
Stevens and Williams are also known for this type of work and I've seen that type of flower ( 'passion' ta Paul  ;D ) does appear on some of their work, not proof but somewhere else to look  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand