No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian, Victorian punch cup or something else?.  (Read 2880 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Georgian, Victorian punch cup or something else?.
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Any thoughts on this one, just about hanging together with four internal cracks, i think might be Georgian but can not find anything similar.

5 1/2 inches in height, 4 inches across the rimand 3 1/4 inches across the base.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Georgian, Victorian punch cup or something else?.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
shot of the monogram.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
Hello Chris, good to meet you at last, is that the one you went back for ? it has the old style handle, dab ? is it called ? if I'd have seen that I might have scooped it up  ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
Yes, got it down to £10, good to see you to mate, filled all the cracks in with UV glue, so i've got my fingers crossed it won't fall apart.
Chris Parry

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
I wonder if it's a pint tankard from about 1780,I have seen a similar glass described as such and it will be interesting to hear what others think,I wouldn't have hesitated for a tenner. :)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
Half pint maybe, hopefully the glue will stop it from getting any worse, does look like it from the few Google images there are.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
too big for some sort of sweetmeat glass do we think?             The pulley-wheel feature almost certainly suggests somewhere from 1800 to 1830, but to be honest I've now forgotten the approximate start and end dates for this decoration.          I wouldn't have thought alcohol, but who knows?               Such a shame about the cracks, but a very unusual and interesting looking piece.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
What do you think the ladel means Paul.

Why ladel  beer ?
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
the thinking behind my suggestion of a sweetmeat related item came from the overall appearance which first off made me think that this was an over-sized jelly or custard - unfortunately it wasn't from a knowledge based idea, so rather my uneducated opinion.            But, since my post I've now had a look in G. Bernard Hughes 'English Glass For The Collector 1660 - 1860', and plate 39 - bottom right - shows what I would also call a very over-sized custard/jelly, and standing at 6.25 inches.           However, the author who obviously knew shed loads more than me, describes it as a 'helmet-shaped'  -  it stands on a flat foot with rudimentary stem with bladed knop and collar under bowl.          Admittedly it has a flared top rim - hence the word 'helmet-shaped', and of course it has the pre-mid C19 pump style of handle.           Hughes call his example a 'tankard', but annoyingly doesn't provide a date, although I suspect late C18 or early C19.
I've certainly seen pulley-wheel decoration on rinsers and finger bowls from the Regency period (1810 - 1830).

Hughes example does have the pulley decoration, but doesn't have your  -  is it folded top rim?  -  and lacks any wheel engraved decoration.   But the overall appearance is sufficiently similar to confirm your first thought that this is for alcohol and either a tankard, or punch glass in view of the ladle.
Originally, I also wondered about a large syllabub glass.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »
Has a pint or half pint glass changed much over the centuries, why put a handle on it, does not make sense? and a pot with a ladel must mean at least six or eight or forty or eighty or 400 servings.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand