No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian, Victorian punch cup or something else?.  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Georgian, Victorian punch cup or something else?.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »
would be great to at least know the reasoning behind Hughes comments, but think it's a bit late now to ask him :)

My opinion is that yours is too small to be a serving rummer, or serving punch glass............    punch glasses, or at least those I've owned, have always been a lot smaller than this one ...........   the ladle image is intriguing - perhaps they 'ladled' syllabub into this one.
Knowing as we do the art of producing glasses c. 1750 - 1830 ish, they gave a lot more thought to fine glass ware with thinner structure than the crowd that came after William IV, and the Georgians had tankards with more finesse than the Victorian heavyweights, plus many more designs were 'blown' since the advent of mass produced mould made items was a little way off.
I think early tankards were made both with and without handles - straps and round section.          As it's cracked I'd chuck it and move on to the next gem ;) ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
Flips could have been made in a large pot and the ladled into tankards,?..warmed with a hot poker and you have a perfect Monday morning pick me up.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
Can't chuck it Paul it could be the only one left, it's a struggle to date anything on colour as it seems to vary so much, in fact the older the glass the clearer it looks, i've thought this one (that's also in  bad shape) is not quite Victorian.

You think you will not find them but there are always more gems.

2 3/4 inches in height.
Chris Parry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »
I like that one :)
 why do you think it's not quite Victorian?
Perhaps made at one of the smaller makers?
I'm sure I've read something about that claw type dab somewhere but can't think where.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
that attachment is reminiscent of T/Webb's Registered designs  -  a shell-like form of decoration  -  but this one is far more crude and less refined than Webb's, so I would say definitely not theirs.

It's good sometimes to keep these unusual pieces  -  I've certainly kept some cracked and damaged pieces that I have a fondness for. :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 11:06:07 PM »
Absolutely keep pieces with no commercial investment,it's not the only barometer of worth.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
I try to only keep the 'unusual' ones - by that I mean  'I've ' never seen another one, or that the technique used was unusual (so might be kept for further research). 

Your trailed pot would fall into that category :)  The top reminds me of Webb, the trailing and colour of it reminds me of Hodgetts Richardson pieces, but the glass quality and the pontil mark don't fall into those categories.  The pontil mark might be excusable (a trial piece? not finished off?) but the glass quality makes it look maybe older? 
m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
Yes, as i'm swimming in Victorian glass i can safely say this sticks out a mile that's why i think it might be an earlier one.
Chris Parry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
difficult call - I do know what you mean I think, i.e. taking the bits in the glass, the look of the glass, the pontil mark etc into account it looks old ... however, the claw dab on the rigaree raises a bit of a query - would that be seen on older glass?  Perhaps try searching for rigaree glass or something and see what comes up. 

m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »
Ive got a lot of old glass to look at and it does not fit in with the Victorian decorative glass i have, i found an early Georgian jelly today, about 1730 this time in good condition which is also white not grey, it really is confusing, i'm wondering if the colour has anything to do with the amount of light a piece of glass has been exposed to over the years?.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand