No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: bristol/cobalt blue glass id?  (Read 625 times)

Offline neverwork

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • georgian glass
    • uk
bristol/cobalt blue glass id?
« on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
hi there. i'm new to collecting glass so please be gentle! i have been offered three glasses all similar to the one pictured below. any ifo greatly appreciated age? use are these wine or cordial glasses? the rims look to have been reground, how much does this affect value? cheers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: bristol/cobalt blue glass id?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
Welcome to the board. We need a bit more info to help you. Can we have the dimensions and rim and base shots please.

My gut feeling is that they are relatively modern, as in 20th C, but I could be way off

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neverwork

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
yes of course, thanks. they are approx 15cm tall. the stem measures 8.5cm, the diameter of the bowl is 4.5cm and the base between 6-6.5cm. they are quite uneven, slightly lopsided with a good number of air bubble and ripples?

Offline neverwork

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
pics

Offline neverwork

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
and the other...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
I'd agree that these look to be modern - perhaps from the last 30 - 40 years.             Unsure what is meant by re-ground  -  is the suggestion that this has been reduced from the original height, perhaps?  -  and there is a sense that this might have been made more from the point of view of decoration than ordinary use, possibly, although obviously they can be used for drinking.
I can't see the underside of the foot clearly, so unsure if there is a depression or not  -  the foot is possibly the most important part of a drinking glass, and can help to indicate how the glass might have been made and give some idea of age.

My opinion is that this is not Bristol blue, which is a deeper and richer colour  -  so this possibly is cobalt.     I don't think that the bubbles and ripples will mean a great deal on this occasion.         Assuming that the rims are identical on all three pieces, then it's quite possible these glasses originated on the Continent and are not British.          Continental glasses often have ground/bevelled bowl rims, whereas British glasses are more than likely to have a fire polished smooth rim.

Looking at your specific interest in glass, then hope it isn't being suggested to you that these are Georgian in date  -  but would be interested to hear what sort of description has been provided.

Regret to say we don't discuss values here, even for glass that has been 're-ground' - but it would be true to say that a glass that is known to have been reduced from its original height will be of less value than had this not been the case.       Values are a very personal aspect of glass, and we all have different ideas as to what something is worth, so you can imagine this is a very contentious area for discussion, and best avoided.

If you're new to collecting drinking glasses then the best advice is to buy a few books - also visit antiques markets or anywhere where you can handle glass  -  even if you haven't the remotest intention of buying -  it's the cheapest way of educating yourself and worth many hours of reading or even using the GMB. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand